Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219177 - 03/15/11 02:28 AM What to do when assistance is badly delayed?
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Watching the news tonight, and they were concentrating on communities of northern Japan that weren't wiped out by the tsunami. Apparently there's a complete loss of infrastructure support. No piped in water, electricity, or natural gas, and they're out of gasoline. I presume that heating oil and sewer service is out of commission too. The roads to the shelters are also, apparently, not car passable since many of the refugees are arriving on foot.

Assuming the above scenario were staying put is no longer an option: What gear do you take and how do you transport it?

Documents necessary to reestablish life
Irreplaceable item (wedding album)
Camping gear
Food/water

Garden cart or modified bicycle (Remember the bikes that were used to transport supplies along the Ho Chi Minh trail during Vietnam?)

Also: Sneakers vs work boots?

Edited by Mark_R (03/15/11 02:31 AM)

#219181 - 03/15/11 03:00 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
No piped in water, electricity, natural gas, out of gasoline, no heating oil or sewers... sounds like a normal wilderness situation. I would be camping out in my backyard most likely, but if circumstances compelled me to move, I would go as light as possible. The wedding album would be stashed for later retrieval, and I would pare down the "camping gear."

With impassable roads, I would turn to my trusty touring bike, loading it up with about no more than fifty pounds, including spare tubes, and minimum repair tools. I would be able, if required, to shuck the bike, plump about 35-40 pounds on my back, and walk out.

The advantage of a bike is that one could easily accomplish fifty miles a day, even more, depending upon road conditions. The bike can be carried over and around obstacles that would stop cars.

I would be wearing a pair of medium cut, medium weight, hiking boots. Sneakers or trail runners would probably be a little too light and unprotective, but if I could wear them safely, that would be my first choice.

If you are going to use a bicycle for this application, you want a touring model with racks and panniers, relatively wide tires, and low gearing. The usual skinny tired road bike isn't nearly as good.

Local circumstances and weather can profoundly alter these arrangements, but they would work for me, where I am.

#219185 - 03/15/11 03:33 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I suspect that you make do. Sounds trite but the disaster is just so huge, so overwhelming, that all you can do is pick a spot and make baby steps to make things better as time, energy, resources allow.

There is a good example of this if you look closely at pictures from Japan. Just hours after the event I noticed that people were not climbing, or even stepping over, debris. Someone has started clearing paths. This is the essential fist step in any recovery. Having a feeling for the Japanese way of thinking, I don't claim any great insight, I suspect that this small first step was completely spontaneous and done a bit at a time by a people who nearly compulsively have a desire to 'tidy things up'.

The idea here is to pick a spot and do what you can. If that is nothing more than shifting a single piece of wood to help clear a path then that is still a step in the right direction.

As far as equipment goes, I have always felt that high-top leather work boots are the best bet when dealing with wreckage. Resistance to punctures coming up through the sole, protection from sharp edges coming at your ankles, and support to help prevent turning the ankle while stepping on uneven surfaces. Heavy duty boots and leather gloves are a good start. A good crowbar looks to be a good idea for rooting around in debris.

#219186 - 03/15/11 03:47 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My assumption here in the San Francisco Bay Area is that there will be no way out. We're on a peninsula with two highways on either side, both with over/underpasses. One parallels the San Andreas Fault. My assumption is that we'll shelter in place, and we have a month's supply of food, clothing, shelter, and cooking gear. Also a corkscrew.

We're both trained as CERT volunteers in light search and rescue and first aid, and we've both taken wilderness first aid courses, on the assumption help won't be arriving. We're experienced campers. We're both ham radio operators, with links to the sheriff's office and fire department. We have an HF radio with antennas, so if the gear survives, we'll be able to communicate outside our disaster area.

Assuming we survive without injury, we'll survive. The "without injury" part is the big problem.

#219188 - 03/15/11 03:56 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Effectively you are lost; not because you lost track of where you are, but because where you are has changed so much that familiar orientation is gone. So consider the mnemonic for what to do when you realize you are lost:

STOP: Stay Calm, Think, Observe, and Plan.

The classic big first decision when lost is whether to stay where you are / bug-in because you judge help will come, or whether to try self-rescue / bug-out because you judge help will not come soon enough.

Many have found that sitting and drinking a "cuppa" whatever your favorite non-alcoholic hot beverage supports the various portions of the STOP program.

Edited by dweste (03/15/11 03:57 AM)

#219189 - 03/15/11 03:59 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I don't think you can expect any outside assistance in a major disaster zone like that. I'm not expecting any assistance where I live in California ... not for weeks. I do not believe our Government has the capability to address a widespread disaster zone and get food or water to many of the people. So you need to aim for self-sufficiency and resourcefulness.

If you are going to leave ... it's whatever you can carry on your back, plus maybe if you still have good roads you can wheel stuff in a suitcase (with wheels) or a supermarket trolley.

Japan seems to have a well-developed system of shelters. Very impressive. Our own facilities in the USA will be over-run. Unless the conditions at a shelter were very good, I'd probably try making it on my own.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/15/11 04:00 AM)

#219203 - 03/15/11 05:35 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Pete]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey Pete,Where in L.A. are You?I haven't Seen a SuperMarket Trolley in These parts!Are you Thinking Electric Trolley?Sorry I Brainfarted,You mean Shopping Cart,correct?:)

Edited by Richlacal (03/15/11 05:42 AM)

#219209 - 03/15/11 07:26 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
LED Offline
Veteran

A lot of people will probably be doing this.
Try to stay warm and dry, tend to the wounded, and wait for rescue. Evac if you can. If not, shelter in place. Other amazing photos in this dailymail article.

Edited by LED (03/15/11 07:28 AM)

#219284 - 03/15/11 06:30 PM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Richlacal]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Hey Pete,Where in L.A. are You?I haven't Seen a SuperMarket Trolley in These parts!Are you Thinking Electric Trolley?Sorry I Brainfarted,You mean Shopping Cart,correct?:)

I hadn't thought of those. The typical grocery cart can carry a few hundred lbs and are easily pushed. The homeless use them for the same reason.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#219291 - 03/15/11 07:11 PM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
One of the stories the world media could be focusing on in Japan instead of "Old man crying in front of rubble..." would be to explore how the loss of so many first responders, healthcare facilities and local/ regional agencies is impacting the response in some of these worst hit areas... Much of the community "knowledge pool/ trained resources" has be scattered at least, leaving "outsiders", even Japanese ones, to try to get a grip on deciding where to start tackling problems.
Think about losing your local government, Fire, police, sanitation workers, shopkeepers and knowing you are not only waiting for help to arrive, but also waiting for the resources as well as decision making to be begin to match the needed response.
Being your own First Responder will keep most of us on this board quite busy, assuming we are able, but what of the "clueless"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.