The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217116 - 02/15/11 01:34 PM Disaster in the Name of the Law
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
The State Court System of NY has just released its legal manual on what can legally be done in case of emergencies. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it's a bit chilling.Quarantines, courtroom clampdowns, etc. Link to NYTimes story posted last night and also a free pdf of the booklet here.

#217125 - 02/15/11 03:04 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Thank you for posting the links.

This is an essential aspect of government emergency preparedness -- balancing the greater good with individual rights and freedom (I don't want Typhoid Mary sitting next to me, family or friends on the train). And it's certainly good to have this debate and try to sort out legal issues in advance of a crisis.

I haven't read the pamphlet yet, does it say whether the state or local government would be empowered to commandeer the contents of your home (i.e. food, water, meds) in addition to using it as shelter or a medical dispensary?

This part of the article raised the question for me:

After mentioning that houses or businesses can be commandeered to shelter victims or serve as medical dispensaries, it continues that “violations of individual property rights, if actionable, would generally be sorted out after the need for such actions has ended.”

#217132 - 02/15/11 04:18 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, this is really useful information for New Yorkers! It's good that the state is being premptive on thinking about such things though a lot of people are going to argue about the loss of rights. It's definitely a case of grays where you have to decide between two evils. I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions on such a massive scale.

Horus, any idea if Texas has something like this or how to find out?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#217133 - 02/15/11 04:54 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One would think they would go after larger businesses first. No sense in raiding your or my cache to feed three people when they could raid walmart to feed 30.
I watched an old movie where there was an earthquake and a policeman wanted to take some guys 4x4 but couldn't figure out how to drive it so I've added enough to my truck that its too complicated for anyone else to figure out.

#217140 - 02/15/11 09:20 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

As a person who grew up in the age of Selective Service, and who was marched down to register when I turned eighteen, I consider myself slightly above average in understanding of what the state/government can do when it flexes its muscles. Worrying about them coming for you shotgun and can of beans isn't the worse of it.

The state can pull you off your front porch, splinters under the fingernails and all, haul you off to some godforsaken place and order you to charge machine-gun nests with a sharpened stick if they want to. Being a Co, conscientious observer, is an option. In which case they don't give you the stick and they order you to drag wounded people who had sticks back so they can be patched up and given another stick.

Even that isn't the worse of it. Look what we did to people with Japanese ancestry during WW2. The land of the free, the brave ... the land of confiscated property and internment camps. Yes, if things get scary enough, in reality or imagined, we quickly compromise our ideals and scapegoat a handy group of 'people who don't fit in'.

On the bright side, I think Blast has is right that this is a good thing. Better to have standards, policies and procedures thought through, agreed to, and established as sound and rational than trying to make it up on the fly. People get into a panic and next thing they are hauling people who don't look like 'us' off to interment camps before anyone bothers to figure out if it makes sense.

#217156 - 02/16/11 12:25 AM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I not only registered for Selective Service, I was also one of the chosen few who received a letter beginning "Greetings...).

The one year, nine months, three days, nine hours, and twenty-two minutes I spent averting the Commie menace were easily the worst in my life. Life was rigidly controlled. As a friend put it, "Everything not mandatory is prohibited." What is ironic is that my duties back then were not at all challenging. I could carry them out today, as a matter of fact (I wound up my service typing letters for the Commanding General, 1st Cav Division, Korea (no strikeovers, no erasures! and taking orders for coffee for participants in those numerous high level meetings).

But at least I got R&R in Japan, and got to climb Fuji in the winter, along with two Japanese lads I met along the way. It was a great trip, although we neglected to exchange gear lists.

I also witnessed numerous examples of frivolous waste up close and personal, and I think that in the long run has made me a more informed and responsible citizen...

#217172 - 02/16/11 02:05 AM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
LED Offline
Veteran

Pre-planning is excellent, but I'd be willing to bet that no matter what is mandated, the severity (or perceived severity) of a crisis will be inversely proportional to ones rights. If power and authority is there, it is likely to be used. Its not like you can really do anything about it, but awareness always helps. I mean, the last thing you want during a crisis is to be tossed into the can for complaining the authorities violated your rights under such and such clause.

#217173 - 02/16/11 02:14 AM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: LED]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I mean, the last thing you want during a crisis is to be tossed into the can for complaining the authorities violated your rights under such and such clause.

This depends on the emergency crisis. Being a state prisoner can sometimes afford greater rights than the general civil population as the state generally has greater provision to ensure the survival of the prisoner population over the civil population.

#217197 - 02/16/11 03:13 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: Horus]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
These laws exist in every political subdivision of the United States. They vary in strength only on the way they are written, and for the limited number of cases that have been able to challenge them.

A state of emergency places control of all government operations soley in the hand of the Chief Elected Official for the political subdivision, the only control is from a higher-level political subdivision. This person may or may not be educated in legal issues, emergency issues, or have any interest in this subject, although it is a critical part of the job of a leader.

At least, this is my understanding. Always good for these people to have competent legal council around.

#217207 - 02/16/11 06:14 PM Re: Disaster in the Name of the Law [Re: ki4buc]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Link does not work for me. I get "invalid url".

Nomad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.