The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206576 - 08/22/10 02:07 AM Wood cutting for heat
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
This was just something I was wondering about as a drove down an endless freeway... today's mind teaser.

Let's say that for whatever reason, there is no electrical power to your town or any of the towns around you.

You used all the stored gasoline for running the generator, trips to collect water from the river, and get some basic supplies from FEMA in the nearest town. All the gas cans are dry, and you can't beg, steal or mooch any from neighbors because they're in the same fix you are.

You've got a working wood stove and a cold winter coming. How do you plan to cut wood? In The Olde Dayes, people had those long, two-man saws with handles at each end. What's the plan today, now that the chainsaw is just a decorative item?

Sue

#206579 - 08/22/10 02:43 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Not that there are many trees around here -- but I would use an axe.

#206580 - 08/22/10 03:08 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Depends on the size tree. Bow saw & hatchet if it's small enough or to clear limbs on a larger tree. Ax or piece together several chainsaw blades to make a larger bow saw for a larger tree.

#206583 - 08/22/10 04:13 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: UTAlumnus]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
We have numerous bow saws, axes, hatchets, and splitters, and I use them when I use my chainsaw too. It's an AWESOME break to cut down a tree or limb in silence after hours of chainsaw smile

#206584 - 08/22/10 04:26 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
You've got a working wood stove and a cold winter coming. How do you plan to cut wood?

Hope I owned the right tools -- or had foresight to quickly buy before gone from the shelves: good double-bit axe, trimming axe, bow saw, maul and wedges ... then hope enough time left for it to season. Oh, and several pairs of appropriate gloves!

#206585 - 08/22/10 05:22 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: xbanker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How about Demo'ing an abandoned House/structure/barn,etc. The wood is dry & seasoned.You could split 2x4's into 2x2's & smaller,then use Loppers to cut the size that's best for your stove.A Splitting wedge & 3lb sledge will suffice for the splitting part,A 28oz.woodframing hammer&A wonderbar, can do the Demo work.It's Hard work but, It would be the least amount of Hard work,with the most Beneficial outcome,Especially with Winter fast Approaching.

#206587 - 08/22/10 06:34 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Richlacal]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
The wood is dry & seasoned.

Bingo! There's your reality check.

Anybody who makes quality heating wood fells, bucks and splits green trees at least 12-18 months before it will be needed.

The only stuff that will dry out fast enough to use within weeks is really small stuff. Plan to have someone feeding the stove 24 hours a day.

Alternatively, plan to burn an outbuilding. (Far from ideal.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/22/10 06:35 AM)

#206588 - 08/22/10 07:23 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: dougwalkabout]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
As others post, it would be well to be prepared with the proper hand tools for obtaining wood.
Freshly cut wood wont burn well, though it is better than nothing.
Remember though that in any widespread emergency there will be intense competion for the available wood, and the owners of the trees might well shoot people stealing them.
It would therefore be well to have several years stock of firewood.
If utility service is available, but you fear it will go off long term, then use gas or electric heat whilst available so as to conserve your wood until it is needed.

#206589 - 08/22/10 08:24 AM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

How about charcoal? I doubt it would be the first thing to disappear from store shelves.

#206592 - 08/22/10 12:29 PM Re: Wood cutting for heat [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What do you mean had? My dad usually leaves the big two-man saw up as wall decor, but it isn't rusty nor dull. He pulls it down a couple times a year with my brother or I on the otherside. There are also the axes, hatchets, hawks, mauls, wedges, smaller saws and an adze. He also mows the fenced area and around the heating fuel tank with a scythe and sickle, and is rebuilding a push mower.

Neighbor has more of all of the above, and his horses are a logging team- they specialize in nice, clean surgical cuttings in areas that are too fragile or tight to get in skidders.

And we can turn any chain blade into a one direction "pocket chainsaw".

I should point out, my folks heat with wood and they buy a year ahead. It means stacking it twice, but it means even in the spring, there is still a winter's worth of wood. Have to mix some greener stuff into it, but... *shrugs* you do what you can.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.