Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#192153 - 12/30/09 01:22 PM Eating Palm leaves
texasboots Offline

I read the post on eating pine bark with interest and wondered if you could eat palm leaves in a survival situation. Ccouldn't I take an entire leaf and cut it up with scissors and fry it up like potato chips? I'm going to try this with a Sabal palmetto leave or a Saw palmetto (Serenoa Repens) which grow here like weeds.

I know you can pull the leave out and eat the end of the stalk like a heart of palm.

Thoughts?

#192157 - 12/30/09 02:06 PM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: texasboots]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I don't think you'd get much of any nutrition from leaves cooked this way. You are better off going for their hearts, like you mentioned. Their hearts are loaded with carbohydrates.

If you had a pressure cooker and some sulfuric acid you might be able to break the leaves' cellulose down down into human-accessible sugars. This is "magic step" in non-starch based ethanol creation using things like switchgrass or other plant waste material. Here is a patent that describes the process.

Sidenote: you'll need a pressure vessel resistant to sulfuric acid.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#192175 - 12/30/09 06:10 PM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: texasboots]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just a suggestion ... and it may be totally redundant.

I suggest that you proceed with the essential allergic-reaction checks - before actually consuming the leaves in any quantity. In other words ... cut some of the palm leaf and rub the damp areas on sensitive skin (e.g. outside parts of lips, underneath skin of forearms or wrist), then next try chewing a small amount of leaf and spitting it back out (but not swallowing). Do these 2 steps first to check for any possible bad reactions to the plant.

I don't know your background ... so I'm sorry if this stuff is plainly obvious or common knowledge to you. It's always a good idea to guard against a bad allergic reaction. I just had a body rash a couple of weeks ago that came from a personal reaction to a plant sap ... bad reactions are no fun!

Offhand, I can't think of any reasons at all why palm leaves would be a problem. But better safe than sorry. By the way - seems like these leaves would be much more effective in a survival diet if you used them to wrap some other kind of food (e.g. meat or bananas), and cooked the whole wrapped item.

the other Pete

#192195 - 12/30/09 08:26 PM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: ]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Down here in Florida the natives at palms fairly often. Saw palmetto also grows like weeds here. You CAN eat the chutes beneath the ground of very, very young leaves, but there is very little nutrition in them. Most of the natives put them into cooked items and removed them after the cooking was done. Mostly they were used as a "Tea" item. Boil out the nutrients and discard the chutes afterwards.

About the only thing you'll get out of most palms in North America worth eating is the heart and grubs.

What Izzy said.

You'll find enough grubs, that you won't have to eat more than the hearts. You can use the fronds to weave a hat;-)

#192240 - 12/31/09 03:24 AM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: UncleGoo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Please keep in mind that all parts of the Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta) are toxic.

Sue

#192395 - 01/02/10 12:17 AM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: Blast]
texasboots Offline

Blast,

Id be curious what types of Ferns or other plants in Florida you would suggest for survival. I believe Florida and Houston have many of the same plants. I would also like to see a writeup on what you would do if stranded in the wild without food... kind of a step by step of what you would look for first. Your blog is great btw.

#192468 - 01/02/10 09:23 PM Re: Eating Palm leaves [Re: texasboots]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
To my knowledge there are no edible ferns down here in the south. Bracken and ostrich ferns only grow in the north. :-(

Thanks for the compliments on my blog, a lot of work has gone into them.

As for a step-by-step plan...that'll have to wait until I have another long vacation. However, if there are saw palmettos around they would be my first choice of food.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.