Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170411 - 03/31/09 06:44 PM Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!!
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, so this weekend I went out and bought me a nice foodsaver vacuum bag system, and a bunch of tri-tip and strip that was on sale. I went through two rolls of bagging stock, then bought a pork loin and a bunch of chicken breast and made up 5 dozen tamales and bagged them. Now my freezer is stuffed, the wife says I can't buy anymore food until we get rid of what I already have. In the meantime, I am planning on rebagging a bunch of ziploc'd bags of food in the freezer.

I named my tamale recipe "Big Ben's carne chango tamales". I haven't finished transcribing my notes, I pretty much perfected the recipe as I went.

Anyone here know what carne chango is? In my recipe, pork loin and chicken breast are a substitute.

#170412 - 03/31/09 07:19 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: benjammin]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

don't know about any food that's south of Rochester MN but from this and other posts i'm tempted to pop for that system and replaced the zip lock canoe chow with the vacuum bags--

#170421 - 03/31/09 09:54 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Carne de Chango: Meat of the Monkey.

I believe it's actually Pork these days, or it's more PC these days not to cook a monkey... Something like that.

I hope you post the recipe!

#170449 - 04/01/09 01:19 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: Nicodemus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, Big Ben's Monkey Meat Tamales.

I will try and get the recipe posted tomorrow. I brought a few in to my hispanic co-worker (her parents own a mexican restaurant here in Denver) and had her try them out. She pronounced them quite good. Guess that means it'll do.

Anyways, I figure the name might get some folks' attention. She laughed when I told her.

#170450 - 04/01/09 01:24 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, I have been officially grounded until I get rid of at least 30 lbs of stock out of the freezer. To get started on that, I grilled up some tri-tip last night and was pleasantly punished for my effort.

I guess the sausage grinder will get a break for a couple weeks now. It's time to focus my attention on the garden now I reckon anyways.

I guess my next big endeavor will be to study my old high school chem class notes and see if I can recall how to make a still again. Or maybe just get into beer making.

Damn, this consumption business is getting interesting.

#170453 - 04/01/09 02:42 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: benjammin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Warning - do NOT talk in public (a forum like this) about a still except in "theory"

The BATFE does not have an exemption allowing the making of distilled sprits in home quantities (unlike home brewing). You would have to get the extremely expensive tax license to even make a few Ozs of distilled spirits.

Don't want you running afoul of the law now. (particularly admitting it in public)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#170467 - 04/01/09 07:35 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: KG2V]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

All too true. I wonder how we got away with it in high school chem class. We sure made a lot of hooch for them alcohol burners.

Maybe the prof wasn't on the level with the BATFE at the time. Lessee, what was that man's name that gave me the C- again...

#170498 - 04/02/09 04:50 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: benjammin]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Was he denaturing that alcohol? grin

If he was, I'm not sure that the ATF would do anything. In fact, as long as the purpose is clearly not to produce a drinkable product, I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on. We certainly produced it in college chem and there are some home-brew folks that generate it for their hybrids (presumably right alongside the home-brew biodiesel folks and that's a dangerous operation if not done properly).

I think the sticking point is mention of it right next to home beer brewing. wink

I'm not sure of the law, but I gotta assume it's to prevent bootlegging and blinding of innocents due to your misguided attempts. A person with suitable knowledge could probably form their own S-Corp boutique distillery and get it licensed appropriately. Let us know when the first crispy bottle of Benjammin Sauce comes off the assembly. crazy

#170515 - 04/02/09 08:12 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: KG2V]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Warning - do NOT talk in public (a forum like this) about a still except in "theory"

The BATFE does not have an exemption allowing the making of distilled sprits in home quantities (unlike home brewing). You would have to get the extremely expensive tax license to even make a few Ozs of distilled spirits.

Don't want you running afoul of the law now. (particularly admitting it in public)

In theory this might help:

http://homedistiller.org/

http://www.homedistiller.org/photos-reflux.htm

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/AE/AE-117.html

Note:
Pot stills are not for producing the high purity fuel alcohol like reflux stills.
Pot stills do produce the flavored liquors like brandy or whiskey that most people use for drinks.

#170554 - 04/03/09 02:50 PM Re: Foodsaver vacuum sealer gonzo!!! [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I don't recall him ever adulterating the distillate after we collected it. We began using some of it almost immediately as fuel to keep the still going, so at least the stuff we put our hands on was pure. It took us almost half a dozen tries before we got the proof up over 190. I can tell you, had he not been present while we were making it, there was a couple times we could've imbibed, and also a few times we could've caused ourselves grave harm. You gots to be careful when workin' with such things. They kin be a might tuchy...Blast would know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.