Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163949 - 01/20/09 06:16 AM Immunizations?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
How does a person find out if all their immunizations are up to date.
Like I know that a person will never be protected from the next great unknown plague, but just being immune from the ones that exist now would be good, right?
Especially considering that if there is a large scale emergency refuge centers are likely to be crowded places and ideal for disease transmission, and that sanitation might be less than ideal too.

It would be a shame to survive a disaster and die 3 weeks later of some dumb refugee herd diseases like the flue or typhoid fever...

#163957 - 01/20/09 11:34 AM Re: Immunizations? [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Talk to your doctor if you have one you always go to. They should have a record of your shots. If traveling out of the country, check with your State Department regarding what immunizations you should have for the area you are traveling to. ESPECIALLY if you are leaving North America.

If you are traveling to certain continents, there are specific immunizations that are needed, and some react with others. You need someone who is then knowledgeable with the area and said drugs. Others are a battery of shots over a period of time. As such, start asking questions well in advance of any known travels.

Edited by Desperado (01/20/09 12:08 PM)

RIP OBG

#163959 - 01/20/09 11:37 AM Re: Immunizations? [Re: scafool]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

If you are properly equipped to survive, staying at an emergency refugee center is not needed....period.

#163960 - 01/20/09 11:42 AM Re: Immunizations? [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
If you are properly equipped to survive, staying at an emergency refugee center is not needed....period.
What about your elderly parents? Are you going to force them out of the heated shelter so they can huddle around your camp fire? On oxygen?

#163962 - 01/20/09 11:50 AM Re: Immunizations? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

I don't see mention of campfire in my post so don't misconstrue my words in an attempt to validate your words. If you have proper planning in place, there are other places to stay then a shelter. Depending on the nature of the event, these options include other families, friends houses etc away from the immediate area.

If someone has elderly parents on oxygen and a shelter is their first option, then these people have failed to plan in a big way.

#163974 - 01/20/09 01:52 PM Re: Immunizations? [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
I don't see mention of campfire in my post so don't misconstrue my words in an attempt to validate your words. If you have proper planning in place, there are other places to stay then a shelter. Depending on the nature of the event, these options include other families, friends houses etc away from the immediate area.

If someone has elderly parents on oxygen and a shelter is their first option, then these people have failed to plan in a big way.

Sorry, who said anything about it being a first option? It might be you who are failing to plan by not even considering that you may end up in a shelter.

#163993 - 01/20/09 05:02 PM Re: Immunizations? [Re: Nishnabotna]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Nishnabotna, Sherpadog is into serious camping and would likely be ready to make his own shelter arrangements.

Sherpadog, Nishnabotna has a good point about the elderly, the infirm and the possibility of having to rely on a shelter in some cases, possibly even for you.

Even if you are not in a refugee center you might still be dealing with populations that are.
Even people who tried to isolate themselves got sick and died during the 1918 influenza outbreaks.
The flu was the most recent real pandemic we have a good record of.
The Flu killed an awful lot of soldiers.

#164128 - 01/21/09 11:25 AM Re: Immunizations? [Re: NightHiker]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thank you Nighthiker.
This
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5753-Immunization.pdf
was exactly what I was looking for.

#164168 - 01/21/09 03:17 PM Re: Immunizations? [Re: scafool]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Reminds me of a story I read in this morning's news about Al-Queda in Algeria goofing around with a biological agent and ended up killing 40 or so of themselves. Speculation was it was the Bubonic plague, but methinks it was something else...

#164200 - 01/21/09 05:43 PM Re: Immunizations? [Re: NightHiker]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
If you're unable to find out anything definitive, go and get a tetanus booster and the assorted Hepatitis vaccines. So far as I know, you can't hurt yourself by doing so and you'll at least have the most common things covered.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, wileycoyote), 153 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.