The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#160975 - 01/03/09 04:25 AM Safest place to live
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The question comes up regularly, "Where's the safest place to live?" At least as far as natural causes are concerned, here's one news article about one group's systematic attempt to answer that question in the United States. According to this study, California is a safe place, so I'll just stick around where I already am, thank you very much. grin

It's good to see some attention given to the real problems--"simple" problems like heat kills more people than any other single natural cause, and flooding causes the most monetary damage, yet neither are rarely "sexy" enough to warrant 24-hour, round-the-clock news coverage like a hurricane or a wildfire are apt to do.

#161062 - 01/03/09 01:13 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: Arney]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
My ONLY question as to weather killing people is, HOW do they calculate it? For instance, here in new england, if someone is out driving in inclement weather, loses control, and dies as a result, is that attributed to a car crash, or weather? If weather, I would break it down a little further; did that person NEED to be out (ie; going to the hospital)? Likely not.
One other thing; most people who live in those environments have learned to cope with them. Again, here in NE, we have access to good cold weather clothing, shovels, snow blowers, etc. So, the equipment is there, it comes down to someone using it.
I think the LEAST safest place to live is among people who simply are oblivious to their environment! The safest? Probably a hue commune where we can all gather together laugh

#161066 - 01/03/09 01:42 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: Arney]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I would think that the book, "Prudent Places" by Stan and Holly Deyo; would be a source of intelligent considerations to be looked at.

You can find more info on the book at: www.standeyo.com

See what you think about it.

Usual disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Stan or Holly Deyo, EXCEPT that I bought Holly's book, "Dare to Prepare", and found it to be an excellent primer for the prep minded individual just starting out.

#161069 - 01/03/09 01:54 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
-----
Quote from the article:
'"California is lucky because "we don't have lots of severe weather," said Kimberly Shoaf of UCLA's Center for Public Health and Disasters. "Although we have heat, it is constant heat.

"It's not the temperature itself but the difference between the average temperature and the heat extremes" that is dangerous because it catches people unprepared, she said."'
------

Yup.
I am in Alberta.
I see people hop in their cars wearing light clothing when they are going to drive 100 miles across the prairie in minus 40 degree weather all the time.
If they had any sort of a problem, even just a flat tire, they stand a good chance of becoming a statistic.

Now, were they a victim of the weather or of their own stupidity?

We just had the news of 8 snowmobile enthusiasts lost to an avalanche in Fernie B.C. and then 2 skiers to avalanches at the Whistler Mountain ski resort at Vancouver. There had been avalanche warnings where the eight were lost and they knew that they were taking a risk.
The 2 skiers got caught by their stupidities by skieing on slopes that were posted as closed because of avalanche conditions.

I think an awful lot of these people are killed from their own stupidity and not from the natural hazard at all.

Edit added:
Yes to the comment about sexy news stories.
It seems a death has to be sudden, horrible, bloody and painful to be reportable. It seems to help if it is a movie star that does the dying too!
The same thing with property damage.
A flood is just not the same sort of earth shaking event that an earthquake is.

Edited by scafool (01/03/09 11:43 PM)
Edit Reason: add

#161089 - 01/03/09 04:01 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: Arney]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The UK should be pretty safe. No serious volcanoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes, or fierce or poisonous wild animals. We have serious tornadoes but they hardly register on most people's radar. We have flooding but that ought not kill you nowadays. We have occasional cold weather but nothing that can't be dealt with easily. We have terrorists, but they aren't statistically significant. The biggest cause of death, other than old age, is probably traffic.

#161108 - 01/03/09 05:23 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
The UK should be pretty safe. No serious volcanoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes, or fierce or poisonous wild animals. We have serious tornadoes but they hardly register on most people's radar. We have flooding but that ought not kill you nowadays. We have occasional cold weather but nothing that can't be dealt with easily. We have terrorists, but they aren't statistically significant. The biggest cause of death, other than old age, is probably traffic.

If you read some of the things I've been privy to reading about the threat of terrorism in England...you wouldn't want to live there. Heritage Foundation has wrote a few interesting things for the Weekly Standard news magazine on the subject in the past.

Let's just say that one phone call would mobilize two generations of domestic born lunatics to spread blood across the London area.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Sadly, I suspect that phone call would work almost anywhere in this day and age.

It often surprises me that folks tend to be acclimatized to the threats in their region and adjust accordingly.
I was once in Pasadena, California during a very minor thunderstorm (maybe 1 or 2 lightning strikes per 5 min.). The local folks were freaking out, but three days latter when a small shake happened in the earth I was outside before the door automatically closed. (The locals were laughing, but you would be shocked how fast a fat man can run!)

Many from California would never think to live on the Gulf Coast due to hurricanes, but I haven't noticed a mass migration from the coast recently.

I guess if one is making a final move to an area this study works, but I look at some threats like a pin prick on the map and some like a shotgun blast. Geographically tornados damage a relatively small area compared to earthquakes and hurricanes. I think I will just stick with what i've got.

RIP OBG

#161182 - 01/04/09 12:38 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, I'll reveal my little secret, since it looks like I won't be capitalizing on it anytime soon.

Southeast Oregon

No strategic value. Moderate weather year round. Surface and ground water. Plenty of game. Arable land. Prevailing winds preclude fallout drift.

Okay, now you know. Land is still pretty cheap out there.

#161189 - 01/04/09 01:00 AM Re: Safest place to live [Re: oldsoldier]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
My ONLY question as to weather killing people is, HOW do they calculate it?

This is a valid question since death certificates don't necessarily mention the weather. The death certificate may say "blunt force trauma to the head" but anyone reading it might not know that the person died when a chunk of concrete jarred loose during an earthquake fell on their head. Or the cause of death might be "heart failure" but doesn't mention that the person had been enduring a heat wave. However, there are various methodological ways to try and estimate the numbers. It may not provide an exact number, but at least if the methods are applied fairly, the resulting numbers for the different phenomena are useful.

For example, the heat wave that hit Europe in 2003 can have widely varying numbers regarding the death toll due to the way causes of death are recorded and reported in the different European countries. One later attempt to sift through the records to find heat-related deaths indicated over 50,000 deaths attributed to that one long heat wave. Fifty thousand!

#161412 - 01/05/09 05:32 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: benjammin]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Okay, I'll reveal my little secret, since it looks like I won't be capitalizing on it anytime soon.
Southeast Oregon

And to that I say:

Stop worrying. Live here, now, while you can, where you want. This is the the life we're given, we get our time, short or long, on this earth, and we can cower like an insect under a rock or we can walk in the sun, rain, snow or highly acidic volcanic ash-storm.

Some of the best things I've ever done were "dangerous" - some of the best places I've ever gone were "dangerous" - some of the smartest people I know are "dangerous".

#161418 - 01/05/09 06:18 PM Re: Safest place to live [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Most of those red areas are recreational destinations. Take a bunch of people who don't know beans about survival in the wilderness, and turn them loose wearing shorts and a t-shirt with their cell phone, headset, 16 oz water bottle into an area with trails, cliffs, bears, cougars, loose surfaces, exposed roots, etc.

They get lost, fall off a trail, break their leg, twist their ankle, hit their head, and die of exposure. So, the weather KILLED them, right?

Live in SoCal, huh? I was born and raised there. Want major problems? Turn off the water.

Sue

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.