The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154560 - 11/07/08 05:13 PM Getting a healthy diet after The Big One
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Whatever The Big One is. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, the big one is a devastating earthquake; in the Gulf region, the big one is a devastating hurricane or two -- you get the picture.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/on_moving_towar_1.php

This article is on getting enough protein in a vegetarian diet. I figure here in the Bay Area all the dogs and cats will be eaten fairly quickly, and the wild animal population is less than the human one, so the diets will trend toward vegetarian as time goes by and we're waiting for rescue.

Veggies are more nearly storable than meat and more easily grown if the disaster continues for more than a season (the Really Really Big One).

#154562 - 11/07/08 05:29 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: philip]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Insufficient protein usually means insufficient amino acids. If all essential amino acids are not present, vegetable protein cannot be used for growth or maintenance of tissues.

Here's a simple chart for combining vegetables to get a sufficient amount of protein and amino acids:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein%20combinations.htm

And even this info may be basing their info on fresh foods, rather than canned or dried, but I don't know for sure.

I would have a plan in place for growing as much food as possible. You may not be able to hold onto all of it without a 24-hour armed guard, though.

Sue

#154566 - 11/07/08 06:29 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: philip]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Truth is, most folks consuming a western diet could consume less than a quarter of their current protein intake and still be healthy in the long term (probably healthier)

The Typical Weekly ration for 1 person /week during WW2 in the UK consisted,

Butter: 50g (2oz)
Sugar: 225g (8oz).
Bacon and ham: 100g (4oz)
Margarine: 100g (4oz)
Milk: 3 pints(1800ml) occasionally dropping to 2 pints (1200ml).
Eggs: 1 fresh egg a week.
Tea: 50g (2oz).
Cheese: 2oz (50g)
Sweets: 350g(12oz) every four weeks
Jam: 450g (1lb) every two months.
Dried eggs 1 packet every four weeks.

Fruit and vegetables weren't generally rationed and the diet was supplemented somewhat by Government restaurants and works canteens.

The British population at the time were never fitter than when rationing was in place and when people were producing their own fruit and vegetables.

Generally, when the cats and dogs start dissapearing, then starvation is the name of the game, after which, within a week or two, so do some of the people.

#154571 - 11/07/08 07:15 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yet another reason for me not to be in San Francisco.

Reminds me of the movie "I am Legend". Why did he keep trying to get deer? There had to be tons of food in that city. If he could get fuel for vehicles, then there should certainly have been plenty of food left as well. Hunting those darn deer is what got him into trouble.

#154572 - 11/07/08 07:26 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Apartment custodian just leafblowered the last of a local inconvenience. I am talking fagaceae quercus lobata, aka valley or white oak, the largest oaktree in the world and producer of the single most nutritious food source known to mankind.

At the other end of the spectrum I am looking at a can of corned beef with an expiration date of December 2010.

Before anyone starts contemplating a plan of action for after the supermarkets run out of bearclaws and chocolate milk, using those tricked out Springfield survival rifles on the nieghbor's cat and growing heirloom indian blue corn in San francisco fog: I suggest sitting down with a cold beer and looking at ALL the options; longterm food storage, untapped local resources ( any fellow californian's ever tried Miner's lettuce?)including those rats with wings aka pigeons that a young Eanest Hemingway shot with a slingshot in Paris when they were "young and poor but happy."

I would also take any website with a .com addie with a grain of kosher sea salt. I may BE a treehugger, but I know a marketing and philosophical prejudice when I see one.

Now, I am going to have lunch, with FREE pomegranate seeds from the bush my nieghbor has and gives me weekly. I need to lose some wieght, and I won't do it with expensive South American miracle fruit.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/07/08 07:30 PM)

#154580 - 11/07/08 07:53 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, last night I cooked up a 50 cent bag of lentils with a 30 cent can of petite diced tomatoes and a little onion and cayenne. Ate two bowlfuls, wife managed to get one down, and we put the other half of the potful in the freezer. I was stuffed, but comfortably so. That meal was almost as satisfying as the ribeye steak and butternut squash with petite green beans I had on monday, almost...

#154600 - 11/07/08 11:36 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: philip]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have to admit when I first read the title "Getting a healthy diet after The Big One" I thought the "Big One" you were referring to was a heart attack...

On the serious side, I live in an area though cursed with it's share of backwards idiots most of which hold public office, is also blessed with a wide variety of wildlife and wonderful growing seasons.

Just gotta stock up on some multivitamins to cover those nutrients that we gotta import because they grow better elsewhere.

#154609 - 11/08/08 12:35 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: benjammin]
philip Offline
Addict

> That meal was almost as satisfying as the ribeye steak and butternut
> squash with petite green beans I had on monday, almost...

Yeah, right -- almost. :->

#154611 - 11/08/08 12:37 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
philip Offline
Addict

> Truth is, most folks consuming a western diet could consume less than
> a quarter of their current protein intake and still be healthy in the long
> term (probably healthier)

That's one of the points they bring up in the article. Getting all our necessary protein vegetarianly isn't as hard as one might expect.

#154652 - 11/08/08 03:47 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: philip]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
To be honest, after The Big One, I don't think you have much to fear. Why? Well, looking at, say, katrina, how long was food an issue? A week or 2, until MRE distribution points were up and running? I really doubt cats and dogs would be on the menu for most people. Heck, being on the bay, lots of folks might decide to try fishing.

Most of us here would be able to scrounge enough food (AFTER our stocks ran out), to be comfortable for 2 weeks. 2 weeks that might not even dent the pantry for some folks.

Having said that, being in America, a litte forced starvation would probably be a good thing. That spare tire most of us have has a lot more food that we think. "Eating healthy" in limited food situations has more to do with micronutrients than protein, carbs, and fats. For proof, look at most hospitals: any abdominal surgery patients is usually not eating for up to 5 or so days after surgery. A little sugar water (D5 1/2 NS)running during then and they're fine.

Me, I have a case of MRE's, a 5 lbs bag of rice, 6 boxes of Kraft Mac & cheese, and a few Mainstay ration bars. I figure if I need to, I can make a month of that. I'll be hungry and probably 10# lighter on day 30, but I doubt I'll be fighting off any wierd infections or looking like a concentration camp survivor.

In conclusion, don't sweat a "healthy" diet. Any horribly, junk-food, high-fat, high-sodium, high-carb diet you may have will NOT be that big a deal... unless you have some wicked heart failure, blood pressure, or diabetes. A high salt diet could be dangerous in the first 2, and hyperglycemia for short periods isn't usually life threatening for the last.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/09/08 04:06 AM)
Edit Reason: visit chinatown sometime

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.