Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#155482 - 11/17/08 03:43 PM TB pandemic?
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
This seems to be much more likely than an avian flu pandemic and affects a lot more people every year. With TB being so contagious/airborne, I would guess the preparations and plans to deal with such an event would be similar to an avian flu outbreak?

CNN article...

#155491 - 11/17/08 04:47 PM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Uh, could this be Eugenics by proxy? 80 years is not a long time to develop and deploy a such a diabolical yet effective political strategy.

#155495 - 11/17/08 05:00 PM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: benjammin]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Careful Benjamin, the simple mention of politics is likely to get you scolded these days. shocked

#155513 - 11/17/08 06:04 PM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: el_diabl0]
Cobalt Offline
Stranger

#155517 - 11/17/08 06:27 PM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: ]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I won't be surprised if TB becomes a problem again in lower economic areas

You're right on the money (about the money). It's not only density that will determine which "cured" diseases will rise up again to cause problems. Typically, diseases that strike developed countries get most of the research funding. Flu is huge because it threatens the developed world, and the funding is pouring out from a whole alphabet of government agencies.

TB and malaria are both making drug-resistant comebacks around the world but the research is lagging due to funding, especially at the point where you need clinical trials. The NIH has made both of these priorities (as has the Gates Foundation), but they only pay for the initial lab work. Drug companies typically pay for the more expensive R&D phase, which includes the trials, but without a clear model of how they will make a profit they won't invest the funds. There is no profit in curing poor people in India and Africa.

Until kids in Florida start getting multi-drug-resistant malaria there won't be any rush, but by then we'll be 10 years behind the curve.

#155533 - 11/17/08 09:23 PM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: jaywalke]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay then, Eugenics by default. Skip the political slant, lets just say its an economically Darwinian concept.

#155557 - 11/18/08 02:39 AM Re: TB pandemic? [Re: el_diabl0]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There was an 'outbreak' of TB on the local reservation a few years ago, and I asked my doctor about it. She said that it isn't easily acquired, that it usually takes repeated exposure.

My memory being what it is (or isn't), I looked it up and I apparently recalled it correctly.

"...transmission of TB usually occurs only after prolonged exposure to someone with active TB. On average, people have a 50 percent chance of becoming infected with TB if they spend eight hours a day for six months or 24 hours a day for two months working or living with someone with active TB, researchers have estimated."

More info at the source: NIAID Excerpt

From the Center for Disease Control:
"To become infected, a person usually has to spend a relatively long time in a closed environment where the air was contaminated by a person with untreated tuberculosis who was coughing and who had numerous M. tuberculosis organisms (or tubercle bacilli) in secretions from the lungs or larynx. Infection is generally transmitted through the air; therefore, there is virtually no danger of its being spread by dishes, linens, and other items that are touched, or by most food products."

More info at the source: CDC on TB

Sue

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 152 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
28 minutes 12 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.