Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#151728 - 10/12/08 10:26 PM canning meat??
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
would canning meat be a wise idea ?will it last an still tastes worth a flip? holidays theres allways turkeys , hams on sale . thx yall

#151731 - 10/12/08 10:56 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: mountainboy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Sure, you can can meat. You have to be careful so you don't get into DIY bio weapons, but if you have a pressure cooker and the manual for said pressure cooker, you should have a directions. If not, plenty of cookbooks on canning have meat in them.

What you do NOT want to do is try water bath canning. You will create botulism sooner or later.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#151734 - 10/12/08 11:34 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: ironraven]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Pressure canning is the way to go. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can5_meat.html

#151741 - 10/13/08 12:20 AM Re: canning meat?? [Re: mountainboy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yes, canning leftover meat is way better than just freezing it. It'll last a lot longer though it is a little more work. Be sure to get a pressure canner and a good, NEW book about canning. Doing it wrong can unleash all sorts of nastys on your family.

Taste-wise, I think it's fine. You might want someone else's opinion though as I also think June bugs are a tasty treat.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#151790 - 10/13/08 02:27 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've canned beef, pork, chicken and salmon before. It is okay. I never seemed to add enough salt to mine, so it was always rather bland out of the jar, but in casseroles and soups you wouldn't know it.

You have to have a pressure canner, and you have to exercise due diligence in keeping everything sterile. With a pressure canner, you can even can main dishes like spaghetti or chili or whatever you can think of, but you have to be just as careful as with meat. When pressure canning meat and meat products, don't take shortcuts. Plan on starting what you finish without unplanned breaks, and use the freshest and highest quality raw materials.

Some spices and seasonings will mellow when canned, some will intensify. You will just have to do and learn.

Don't be intimidated, but do always maintain a respectful attitude about it.

#151794 - 10/13/08 02:58 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: benjammin]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I'd never thought about canning spaghetti. Thanks for the realization.

#151805 - 10/13/08 04:41 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: Blast]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
My grandparent's used to can meat. Of course, they had a real honest-to-god cannery in their town, run by the local grange.

I remember my dad opening a can of meat in 1976, that had been canned over 10 years before. While it 'looked' a little funny, it smelled, and subsequently tasted, great!

Grandma used to can all her vegetables, meat, fish, whatever, to preserve for any future tough times ahead.

We were down visiting one year, after a spring flood had come up a couple of inches in her basement, and removed the labels from the bottom row of cans on the shelf.

We ate 'surprise' vegetables all through that visit.

#151806 - 10/13/08 04:52 PM Re: canning meat?? [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, anything you see in a can on the shelf at the grocery store you can duplicate at home. Tuna casserole, chinese food, stew, it can all be put up. What I like is you can do more exotic stuff at home, like venison chili, or elk stew, or moose stroganoff, and it is something you'll never find on a grocery shelf. Fresh is always better. Variety is a close second.

It would be cool to see a community throw in for a commercial retort packager. Imagine bringing your food to a local facility where they will seal it in single/multi serving foil packages like MRE containers. I understand there are some Mormon communities that do something like that with traditional mason jar canning. I think you could save a bundle if you made it a community event and got a couple of pros to help with quality control etc. We used to take the salmon we caught to a local cannery who'd put it in tuna sized tins for us.

Then again, there's a reason a can of corn costs 50 cents and a can of chili a buck. I doubt you could match that if you factored in the time it took to do it yourself. At $65 an hour, my time would make that corn/chili damned expensive. I guess it's a good thing I enjoy doing that sort of stuff, cuz I ain't doing it to save money.

#152169 - 10/17/08 12:40 AM Re: canning meat?? [Re: benjammin]
mark161 Offline
Diver

Loc: US
Another great suggestion for canning is the left over turkey at Thanksgiving. When you are tired of sandwiches just can the rest.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 436 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.