The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116891 - 12/21/07 02:17 PM Two kinds of Bug Outs
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
There's two kinds of Bug Out's that need to be prepared for....

1) Non-Hostile:
allows one to bug out with a vehicle,
allows one to take the maximum amount of gear, food, and water,
allows one to take the mini/max amount of weapons,
allows one to settle @ a stable destination til time to return home.

2) Hostile:
one can take only what can be carried,
one can only take minimum gear, food, and water,
one can only take the minimum amount of weapons,
one can never stay in one place too long without others knowing that you're in the area.

#116899 - 12/21/07 02:35 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: wildman800]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
You could also devide them between situations:

- Home-emergency bag:

Bag with stuff like digital stored photo's, important documents, spare cash, etc. For example when you have a house-fire. This is a short-term emergency.

- Disaster-emergency bag:

'Traditional' BOB for stuff that is used for example with large floods, hurricanes, earth-quakes, etc. when you don't know when/if you'll be coming back.

#116905 - 12/21/07 03:17 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: JIM]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I'm not sure that just because a situation is non-hostile that it will allow you to bug out in a vehicle, ie, a traffic jam in an evacuation scenario.

Also, in a hostile situtation, I think I'd take the time (if possible) to load the most weapons I could carry.

Just my 2 cents.

#116907 - 12/21/07 03:26 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: el_diabl0]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I don't think I agree with there being two types. I like the categories in one sense, but I don't think one can say that a non-hostile situation might not become hostile. I think the more localized a situation, the less likely it beocmes hostile.

Also, I think the categories could get very gray, very quickly.

I like JIM's comments. As far as photogrpahs, I've been trying to get all of ours on dvd disks and want to give copies of the disks to relatives. When i finish, we should never need to worry about taking photos with us.

#116918 - 12/21/07 04:37 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Dan_McI]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I like JIM's comments. As far as photogrpahs, I've been trying to get all of ours on dvd disks and want to give copies of the disks to relatives. When i finish, we should never need to worry about taking photos with us.

A USB flash drive or two would seem to be just the ticket, lighter and handier than a DVD collection. Put scans of all your important pictures and data on there.

NOTE TO SELF - DO THIS

#116933 - 12/21/07 06:11 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Crowe]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I now have 16.5G of pictures on my laptop, USB flash drives that size are cost prohibitive. A couple dvd's burned every few months is a lot less expensive, plus I can mail copies to a couple people and have them already there rather than carrying.

#116939 - 12/21/07 06:28 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I now have 16.5G of pictures on my laptop, USB flash drives that size are cost prohibitive. A couple dvd's burned every few months is a lot less expensive, plus I can mail copies to a couple people and have them already there rather than carrying.

That's my plan. I am copying the picture files onto DVDs, will keep copies and send duplicate copies of the DVDs to a relative or friend who lives elsewhere and is unlikely to experience the same events (say my in-laws in the Rockies). Hopefully, they will send me copies of their photos on DVDs. If either of our homes is ever destroyed, our precious memories will still be preserved.

I like flash drives, but once things are burned onto DVD, copying them is easy.

#117000 - 12/21/07 09:51 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

About a year ago when we made the trip to my parents for Christmas I put a CD binder with our DVD backups on the old gun rack in my old room and told her those were my backups.
of course she called my cell phone on the trip home and told me I forgot my CD's so I had to remind her they were backups I left there intentionally.

#117002 - 12/21/07 10:28 PM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I picked up a 120GB USB back-up drive. Without looking at it, I'd guess it's 5"x3"x1/2", powered thru the USB port.

#117196 - 12/23/07 12:01 AM Re: Two kinds of Bug Outs [Re: Russ]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

External hard drives have really dropped in price. I picked up my 250 gig model for $80. That's cheaper than some knives I've looked at. wink It backs up all my photos, papers, documents, programs, plus all my music. On the downside, it does need to be plugged into an outlet to work. I'm considering getting a smaller model (60 gigs), that just needs to hook into my laptop, to store my most important documents. Something more portable I can throw into a waterproof case and run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.