The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116270 - 12/17/07 02:14 PM Water, designing a system to clean a supply
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
In thinking about a longterm survival situation, I realize that no matter how much water I store, the supply can run out. When the supply runs out, finding a source of clean water may not be possible. If I hunker down at the house, I may need to take some water of which the quality is unknown, and use it.

So, I have been thinking about a system that I could build that would provide a good supply of clean water. In my thinking, I would probably want to work in stages.

My first stage would be a tank with two outlets, one at the very bottom and another some distance off the bottom. Put water into this tank, let sediment, etc. settle out of it and.or rise to the top, and draw water off from somewhere in the middle.

My second stage would be to try and filter it through sand. Slow sand filters are used in third-world countries to supply clean water. But, I really have no idea about using one of the filters that relies on biological growth near the top to clean water. I would probably build a couple boxes, fill them with sand, and use one at a time to seep the water through.

My next ideas would be to filter it again, possibly through carbon. I know activated carbon can remove a lot of chemical impurities, but sooner or later my supply of activated carbon would run out. What would happen if I made and used my own charcoal for a filter?

Finally, chemical treatment seems to be an ideal final step. Preferably with iodine, but if not, then chlorine.

Are there any steps or stages you would consider changing, adding, deleting? There is a stream of running water not far from the house, but as I would not want to use it without treatment. If possible, I'd like to design a system to use as little stored resources as possible. If a syastem can use things you can readily obtain without buying, then it seems to me that is an ideal renewable system in a longterm situation.

Thanks.

#116271 - 12/17/07 02:20 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well for the last couple steps what happens when you run out of chlorine?
Why not replace your roofing with some of the materian designed to allow water collection then fill some large tanks there?

#116275 - 12/17/07 02:54 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Eugene]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
After your initiall filtration if your still worried about your water there are a couple ways to go.
1. My personal favorite BREW BEER beer is a great way to make water safe to drink and store.
2. If your bound and determined to have just plain and boring water create a still and boil it look at plans for a flash still like the navy uses.

#116282 - 12/17/07 03:26 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Dan,

Check this thread.
It has a ton of info and links on setting up long-term water purification systems.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (12/17/07 03:28 PM)
Edit Reason: can't spell on Mondays
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#116287 - 12/17/07 04:01 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My plan is to gather rain from the roof top in my 30gal trashcans (each with a sterile trashbag), strain the water through cloth, then run it thru a 3'x4" activated charcoal filter (made by myself of 4" pvc piping), then boil it for 20 minutes, cool it down, and then add it to my barrel/bottles for consumption.

#116299 - 12/17/07 04:51 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: wildman800]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Trash bags? Are you sure that's a good idea? Personally, I wouldn't want to store water in anything that's not food grade. Trash bags were never intended to store things consumable by humans.

They are not recommended to store food in because they can leach nasty chemicals. Also some trash bags are treated with pesticides. Not things I'd want to add to my water supply.

Maybe you should consider going with water storage tanks for runoff water. Not as cheap as garbage bags, but much more reusable, and made with food grade plastic. Plus if you have it on hand, it will always be full when you need it. You won't need to worry about setting up or when this dry spell will end.

#116307 - 12/17/07 05:44 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: hamilton]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Thanks for the comments.

Roof runoff seems to be a much better idea that trying to transport it from a nearby stream. Although being able to adapt it for either source would seem to be a good system.

I was generally thinking of a system very much like the one Blast posted a diagram of, in the thread linked in his post above. His preflush tube is very much the like idea I had of using a settling tank.

I've read a bit on slow sand filters with bio layers, and my reading indicates they work well. That would be my ideal second step. However, I think I should probably try it out. I also have read about sand as just being a good filter, without maintaining the bio layer. Designing the system to backflush the sandfilter seems more complicated, although I imagine one could adapt the valves off of a pool filter to work. Pool filters might be the thing to adapt for any fitler in such a system.

My idea of adding a carbon/charcoal filter to the system would be to try to account for chemical contamination. I know I'd never be able to account for all possibly chemical contaminants. I've tried to think of a filter that would draw out a lot of chemicals, and carbon seems to do a good job of it, and with some effort, I should be able to create some charcoal, so I could renew that filter. I do not know how effective it might be, but trying to get stuff out is better than not trying at all and slowly poisoning oneself.

Boiling does seem like a good longterm option. Thanks for that suggestion. I could store enough chlorine to do the job for a while. However, I also know about some of the hazards of calcium hypochlorite (that is usually the chemical we call chlorine), and I do not want to store tons of it and risk runaway decomposition.

I've thought about distilling too.

Thanks.

#116308 - 12/17/07 05:47 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I wonder if you could build a permanent solar distiller out of glass mounted on top of your home or nearby. Let a set amoutn of water flow into it each day and let the sun distill it

#116311 - 12/17/07 05:55 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: hamilton]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pesticides in trash bags is news to me but sounds reasonable for the intended cargo. I'll do some research on this and get another posting up on what I find. Thanks, Bo

#116312 - 12/17/07 06:10 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

After looking over what Google provided and checking out Wickipedia, it appears that some (most?) garbage bag manufacturers do put some kind of animal repelling chemical into the manufacturing process.

I will rethink that part of my collection plan and find suitable containers to collect the rainwater from the roof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (sgt253), 482 Guests and 188 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.