Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106267 - 09/19/07 02:41 PM Survival Recipes?
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I know the title sort of sounds like joke, but seriously, how are you planning on eatting all that food you're storing? Or alternatively, how can you eat food you manage to scrounge or hunt?

One thing that comes to mind for me is porridge. You can make a porridge out of any type of grain availible and you can put just about anything into it. You can make it salty with meat and vegetables or sweet with sugar and fruit. A recipe I found on a chinese cooking site is basically slowly simmer 1 part rice in 6 parts water, or simmer 1 part left over steamed rice in 4 parts water then add what ever you want to it. Benefits of this recipe are its simple to make(you don't even have to grind the grain to make flour), flexible ingredients, and it uses a cheap staple as the main ingredient. About a third of a cup of rice makes enough porridge for one person for breakfast or lunch.

So what ideas do people have?

#106272 - 09/19/07 03:00 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: AROTC]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Our food stocks consist mostly of rice, pasta, canned veggies, flour, sugar, salt, nuts, and lots of different seasoning. From these I can make assorted breads, stews and goulashes. Boiled rice, red beans, raisins, almonds and curry powder is yummy. Oatmeal, creamed corn and chili powder also is suprsingly edible.

The trick is to not get locked into "normal" recipies. You know what flavors you like, you know what foods have weak or strong flavors, you know what nutrients and calories you need. Start experimenting based on taste and see what you come up with. Eventually your family will stop asking what's in something and just eat it.

Sidenote: start experimenting well before you actually need to. Not every combination works...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106273 - 09/19/07 03:01 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: AROTC]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm not big on the whole chef thing, so I pretty much just rely on prepackaged food and canned goods, some spices and mushrooms and onions things along those lines for my emergency provisions. I try to keep it simple. If I'm in the type of situation that would call for me to hunker down in the storm shelter or just shelter in place I will have other things to worry about than fancy meals. If I was just sheltering in place and could still be in the main house I would think I would still be able to cook the way I would any other time, we always have alot of different ingredients to add to food in the house.

Shadow out !!!

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (09/19/07 03:41 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106274 - 09/19/07 03:03 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Blast

How do you store your flour and sugar, is it prepackaged or do you do it yourself? And how long is it good for, how do you rotate?

Shadow out !!!

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (09/19/07 03:04 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106277 - 09/19/07 04:18 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I'm a former chef, so that helps. I can get pretty creative with minimal ingredients. I also have a few cookbooks I'd rely on, my favorite being Craft of the Country Cook. Not sure of the author. Has some great old-style recipes along with other great info like how to build a root cellar, butchering wild animals, etc. Good stuff. Even before I became a prepper, I thought that this was the book I'd have with me if the balloon went up.

#106295 - 09/19/07 05:38 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Shadow,

The flour and sugar is stored in big, heavy-duty plastic containers with wide screw-on lids. I'm not sure where DW got them. She has her "working container" in the pantry and her backup supply in several other containers in a big Rubbermaid tub under the stairs. As for rotation, DW is a big baker so she goes through flour/sugar pretty fast. In a normal week she'll make a triple-batch of pancakes, a dozen or more muffins, two dozen cookies, a platter of biscuts, two loaves of bread, dumplings, assorted gravies and sauces and a pizza crust from scratch. I think she goes through a 10-lb bag every month or so.

Hence my breakfasts/lunches of SlimFast.

Sugar stays good pretty much forever if kept dry and in the dark. She stores it the same way as the flour, a working conainer in the pantry and bulk storage under the stairs.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106338 - 09/19/07 09:50 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: AROTC]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
A related question: Does anyone know of a way to bake bread with out an oven? I'm thinking about around a campfire (or coals). I'm thinking real leavened bread, not just bannock or fry bread.

#106340 - 09/19/07 10:05 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: AROTC]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
know of a way to bake bread with out an oven?

1. Dutch oven
2. Reflector oven
3. Metal can buried in the coals

-Blast

#106343 - 09/19/07 10:18 PM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: AROTC]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi AROTC,

Some outdoor cooking techniques from Ray Mears including how to bake some bread,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TvE5jv4KPo

#106373 - 09/20/07 02:21 AM Re: Survival Recipes? [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wide mouth Nalgene polycarb bottles work great for sugar, salt and flour.

Didn't we have a thread like this about a year ago that ended with a lot of people wanted to know where I was bugging to? *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.