Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104088 - 08/30/07 08:00 PM Emergency ladder ideas?
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi All,

After reading martinfocazio's post on the Katrina anniversary entitled "3 minutes from the ground to the roof" it got me thinking about emergency ladders since I also live in a flood prone region. I live in a second story apartment I can't install anything permanent but does anybody have suggestions on good emergency ladders or ladder type ideas?

I am considering just buying some heavy climbing rope, knotting it for steps and using a good sized "climbing certified" carabiner or grappling hook to secure it for an escape (descending to ground or ascending to roof). However, with the 3 minute time frame I'm leery about relying on that for ascending to the roof.

What do ya'all think? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cheers,
Nemo.

#104095 - 08/30/07 09:29 PM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Loganenator]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
emergency ladder something like this?

#104100 - 08/30/07 10:26 PM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: frostbite]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
This will cost more, but it would be more versatile. You can go up as well as down.

http://www.xtendandclimb.com/

#104109 - 08/31/07 12:24 AM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Loganenator]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Thanks RayW!

That is a great idea and looks very useful as well. The trouble with rope or chain ladders is the risk of knots in storage. I could keep that telescoping ladder on the porch for a fast up or down putting my mind at ease for more options than my single exit.

Cheers,
Nemo.

#104110 - 08/31/07 12:44 AM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Loganenator]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Nemo
I could keep that telescoping ladder on the porch for a fast up or down putting my mind at ease for more options than my single exit.

One additional thing to keep in mind: depending on your porch, you may want to secure the ladder somehow (e.g.: a combo-lock chain), especially if the ladder will be in plain sight. A ladder is pretty much the most useful tool, short of a crowbar, you can give a potential thief. The balance between emergency accessibility and security should be evaluated.

#104141 - 08/31/07 12:28 PM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Loganenator]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

lowes.com offers the Werner 13-Foot Aluminum Telescoping Ladder, model no. MT-13, for about $120.00.

(Enter your ZIP code to get this price.)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=78390-287-MT-13

Order it online for in-store pickup; otherwise, shipping adds around $75.

It features a 300-pound weight capacity, 13 adjustable working heights or positions, and conversion into four "different" ladders.

Edited by bsmith (08/31/07 03:14 PM)
Edit Reason: added url

#104225 - 09/01/07 02:02 AM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Loganenator]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A properly stored caving ladder won't develop knots. You roll it, and the rungs keep everything where it is supposed to be. Ropes occur in lines when they are pulled on, particularly when they are improperly coiled- most of the chain-and-rung emergency ladders come rolled up already, so they are basically impossible to screw up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104286 - 09/02/07 12:11 AM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: ironraven]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Unless there is some vital and pressing need to use the more unusual designs I would try to use something as close to a standard ladder with as few moving parts as possible.

Cable, rope and chain ladders are good where their exotic forms are required but they are far harder and slower to climb and work with under stress than even the cheapest standard ladders. Try climbing a cable ladder with an arm that doesn't work or if your eight or eighty. Even strong, healthy and intact people have trouble climbing rope ladder. Even experience mountaineers have to take their time.

Given the option I would even avoid the multi-section folding and extension ladders. I once Watched a guy who was unfamiliar with those multi-position ladders try to work it too quickly. He nearly hurt himself.

He was working it on an open floor without any great amount of stress or pressure. In an emergency with water rising around him he might have needed the ladder surgically removed or drowned.

If at all possible I would try to keep any ladders as dead simple and easy to use as possible.

#104299 - 09/02/07 03:21 AM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: Art_in_FL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The problem with a conventional ladder is it is hard to store, and harder to get out the window- and you CAN'T get one out the window if you are down one arm, are very young, or very old. This isn't for normal usage, but as an emergency egress ladder. :P

Key word- emergency. As in, I'll die before I get down the stairs. Otherwise, skip the ladder, I'm taking the stairs.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104725 - 09/05/07 03:05 PM Re: Emergency ladder ideas? [Re: ironraven]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Thanks ya'all,

After reviewing all the options for my 2nd story apartment I think that the telescoping ladder offers the best bet for storage, security and sturdiness in an emergency. Now I just have to decide whether to store in on the porch or in the bedroom (opposite ends of the apt) for the most likely location of an exit. I'm thinking bedroom.

Cheers,
Nemo.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.