I just joined the forum when I saw a thread inspired on old survival manuals. I am currently writing a paper on Nomad Town and about STOP - perhaps you know this technology. I am trying to find out when it started - or who might have started it.

The oldest reference I have is 1972 in Montana and another in 1974 in Montana. I wonder if the Craigshead brothers might be connected / used it?

As some of you have old survival books maybe it is in one of them??

If I can find a Craigshead connection that can be good. Also if I can find an older publication than Gene Fear here:

https://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Unexpected-Wilderness-Emergency-Gene/dp/0913724025/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1592512524&refinements=p_27%3AGene+Fear&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Gene+Fear that would be good too.

There might also be something similar with a different mnemonic or similar procedure which you are aware of.

This is a social technology or a tool or technique and as important to carry with us as kit. As it is not an object I post this in CampFire - if there is a better place please feel free to let me know.

regards frm Finland

Marcus Petz

To know a bit more about me: I live in Finland, and am connected with Tampere Bushcraft in English, Nomad Town and Herbologies & Foraging Networks in Finland where various of us discuss and carry out some practical survival or related things. I am currently doing a PhD - it is related to community currencies and rural resilience.