Well, we got hit with one hell of a summer storm yesterday! Wow. Sheets upon sheets of sideways rain, ridiculous amounts of lightening and thunder. Knocked my tomato garden sideways frown

My husband had previously agreed to make dinner yesterday. (!!!!)
Thunderstorms are a great time for napping, and he was conveniently doing just that around time to start making dinner. And of course, the power decided to go out right around time to start dinner.

My husband always does the grilling, but I figured I'd let him sleep and go ahead with dinner. (Eating Chef Boyardee cold out of a can is something I'd rather save for the Zombie invasion).

I managed to cook breaded chicken breast, roasted new potatoes, and summer vegetables on the grill, all on my own! I EVEN figured out how to turn on the grill all by my lonesome.

On a side note, we were well prepared for the power outage: with candles and flashlights placed in such a way that they were super easy to grab. The whole thing was really very minor, but as my first power outage of the year, I felt very pleased with myself for being at least sort of prepared.

One thing I do know, is that I need to get at least one or two small cast iron skillets. I wanted to melt some butter to coat the asparagus, but all I had was a HUGE cast iron skillet. I ended up just using spray-on butter. I imagine a smaller pan would be much more convenient.

~Marion C. Garretty