Greetings, gents

I travel within the U.S. for business once or twice a month for three to four days at a time. I'm a very lightweight packer and always travel with a laptop. I've tried several combinations of bags and luggage over the years, but I'm never satisfied with the arrangement and am always tweaking things (part sport and part neurosis) ;-0 When I was in my twenties, I carried a plain black ballistic nylon backpack with a laptop slot, and I was able to also fit two pairs of pants, a few shirts, and a shave kit, so I had everything contained in one carryon (no suits for my business). In concept, it was ideal, but the drawbacks were that the backpack straps would make my shoulders sore after half a day of getting it on and off my back, there was rarely any extra room even for a thin raincoat or paperwork binder, and I think may look a bit juvenile and unprofessional now that I am in my thirties (or maybe I'm too self-conscious about that).

When the airlines increased their security restrictions with regards to liquids and gels, I "gave up" my carryon-only philosophy and went back to a small rolling suitcase (sometimes checked) and a standard laptop bag. This arrangement, as we're all aware, has its drawbacks as well, chiefly being separated from your shave kit and unders for an uncertain amount of time.

Lately, I have honed my shave kit to the 3 oz. maximum for all liquids and gels, and want to get back to a carryon only strategy. I have a nice, trim, soft-sided briefcase that is a step up from the usual big black nylon laptop case. What I can't decide on is the most efficient companion to the laptop case. I have a compact, low-key duffel that seems ideal in that it is lightweight, has a shoe compartment, and has a bit of extra room for a folded raincoat or conference documents. However, I can't envision how to actually carry the two separate bags without it being awkward. They both have padded shoulder straps, and also the usual loop handles. I guess I could carry the duffel on one shoulder and the briefcase in the other hand "old-school" style.

I guess I'm looking for the perfect solution where I don't have too much load on my back (or none), but can still carry on everything. I'm fine with putting one bag in the overhead and one bag under the seat, as with the laptop case and duffel arrangement, but ideally I have just one bag. Maybe I should look for a wheeled laptop case that also has an extra compartment for some clothing and shave kit. Any ideas on that?

What arrangement do you find most efficient?