Okay, not survival related at all, but I was looking at Chef knives recently, in order to dial up the quality of my kitchen cutlery and ran across a line of knives marketed by Zwilling, but designed by Bob Kramer — the Bob Kramer Carbon Collection. Okay, yeah, seriously not inexpensive.

Nice knives, but in doing some research, I found a YouTube titled: Equipment Review: Best Carbon-Steel Chef's Knives & Our Testing Winner. In an effort to totally spoil the YouTube, the Best Carbon-Steel Chef's Knife was the Kramer, but it was then tested head-to-head against a ~$40 Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-Inch Chef's Knife; the Victorinox Chef’s knife didn’t win the test, but it held its own.

It so happens that a Victorinox Forschner 8” Chef's Knife was already in my knife block, all I needed to do was resharpen — which was done this morning. I needed to start with the coarse stone (it was that bad) and work up to fine, but now the knife will push cut paper. The only problem with the Victorinox is that I was treating it like a cheap knife, when I should have been treating it like a very good, inexpensive knife. My lesson for the day was to not judge a knife by its price-tag.