I ordered an Ontario 12" CT1 Traditional Camp and Trail Cutlass but by mistake I received the Ontario 12" Economy Machete. I promptly contacted my knife source and they immediately sent me the right knife and a prepaid shipping label. While I had them both in hand, I thought I would photograph and compare them as far as fit, finish, sharpness, and feel.

Online prices vary day by day, but there is a difference in price for these two knives. The CT1 sells for about $20, and the Economy model for about $12. Both are made in the USA.

The overall size (17 1/4) and appearance is nearly identical. Scale material is an inch thick, hand-filling, and comprised of a hard black shatterproof polymer. Both had 4 metal rivets and a lanyard hole.

The blade material is 1095 high carbon steel coated with zinc phosphate and was the same on both. Both are stamped "Ontario Knife US" in two lines. I measured the blade thickness, the CT1 measured 3.2mm, and the Economy machete much thinner at 2mm. Both blades have a double bevel, a 1 5/8th inch unsharpened choil, and unfinished spine edges, were 12" long and arrived fairly sharp but will need finishing.

My only complaint was with the fit of the handle scales on both knives. The polymer is a little proud along the top of the full tang and has sharp inner edges. I will have to sand it down or it will grind up the palm of my hand in heavy use.

I also purchased the 12" Ontario heavyweight nylon sheath which would fit either knife. There is a cheaper one available, but I'm glad I paid $4 dollars more and got the good sheath. It has a ballistic nylon belt loop and non removable 'frog', and is lined with a cut resistant polymer material. It weight 5 ounces and has 3 solid rivets and 3 open rivets for securing cord. Much better quality than other machete sheaths I have seen. I could not find any country of origin markings on it.

My conclusion is that at 15.2 ounces, the CT1 has the perfect heft that I was looking for, and is heavy enough for chopping, splitting, and digging...the reasons I bought it in the first place. It is an excellent value for the money. The Economy model is more like other machetes and would be good for lighter work. I like the ricasso, the scale material and phosphate coat, so I will say that it made of slightly better materials than the larger rubber handled Tramontinas I own, but maybe not as good as the wood handled ones. To be fair, it costs more too.

The attached photo shows the CT1 on top, and the CT1 in the sheath

Attachments
Ontario Budget Machete vs CT1.jpg (5451 downloads)
Ontario heavy sheath.jpg (2731 downloads)