I have often heard on this forum, how the modern way of life, excludes or denies our children the right to learn how to survive in the wild or even build a fire.
This combined with a never ending stream of terrorist threats have brought the issues of survival to the forefront.
Today I read in my local rag a story of how polititions are branding a scouting book as a "terrorist manual".
I've posted the link below, but heres a little taster:

Does this look like an al-Qaeda manual to you?

"I was a young terrorist, and I had the woggle to prove it. Along with my peers in the Peewit Patrol, we were dispatched into the woods, where we built a camouflaged lean-to in which we spent the night, learned the rudiments of navigation and, in a show of lo-tech wizardry, constructed a working sundial from tent pegs. Geo-positioning it was not, and neither would any of our activities have caused fear and alarm to Her Majesty’s lieges, unless the ghastly flour and water damper we cooked on a stick could be construed as a biochemical weapon. It all seemed harmless, healthy fun. Now it seems the Urtext which inspired our activities has been labelled as a potential terrorist’s handbook.

Last week Robert Marshall-Andrews, a Labour MP and QC, argued that the currently expanded anti-terrorism laws made it a potential offence to be caught carrying Scouting for Boys, Robert Baden-Powell’s seminal manual, a new edition of which has just been published. "

I hope the link works, its subscription based story. If it doesn't, and people show interest I'll copy and paste the lot.
The world gone mad.
http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=251472004

Martin