Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#297207 - 10/06/20 12:53 PM Five-Week Social Experiment Gets Mixed Reactions
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I fast forward the video to the relevant section, which is less than six minutes long.

https://youtu.be/tAyukKTIW28?t=593

Zilla makes an interesting point. How many people "photoshop" their life and post it on the Internet even if we do it with carefully chosen words? I'm probably guilty of that to an extent, taking what makes me unique (a person who loves city life) and write about my experiences in Dallas in the best possible light.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297208 - 10/06/20 11:09 PM Re: Five-Week Social Experiment Gets Mixed Reactions [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
I wouldn't say that you are like that Jeanette, you write about being in a big city because you enjoy living in Dallas. Not because you want anyone else to be envious of your life. To me the results are predictable because there are people who believe in the "perfect" life and even though they don't have it yet it is out there waiting for them and if you have found it, they can too. To me, if I post a picture of a new Doug Ritter knife on this forum I hope it makes everyone jealous is different than the real reason. Here, aside from the fact that knives are just cool, most of the members appreciate the fact that a Doug Ritter knife is a well made tool that works and that they are not the only one who bought yet another knife. I'm sure that the outcome in Zilla's experiment could be debated for a long time but does it make a real difference in most lives?

#297209 - 10/06/20 11:57 PM Re: Five-Week Social Experiment Gets Mixed Reactions [Re: RayW]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: RayW
I wouldn't say that you are like that Jeanette, you write about being in a big city because you enjoy living in Dallas. Not because you want anyone else to be envious of your life.

I am; a little.

Indeed I love big city life, and while I liked to paint the best picture possible with words, making a nature lover jealous of a city slicker was never my intent.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297211 - 10/07/20 02:49 PM Re: Five-Week Social Experiment Gets Mixed Reactions [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
...making a nature lover jealous of a city slicker was never my intent.

That is no more likely to happen than convincing a city slicker to envy a nature lover. Two completely different outlooks on life. This does not mean that they are incompatible, but it probably does mean that there won't be too many conversions along the way.

The old TV show "Green Acres" nailed it in their theme song.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.