The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296420 - 06/19/20 02:05 PM 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I always wondered why this was not done sooner.

Alaska officials on Thursday airlifted from a remote trail outside Denali National Park the wrecked bus made famous by the 1996 book and 2007 movie “Into the Wild,” removing an object that drew hundreds of fans and sightseers.

Too many people were putting themselves at risk trekking to the site where adventurer Christopher McCandless died of starvation in 1992, officials said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alaska-bus-idUSKBN23Q09S

John Lubbock

#296422 - 06/19/20 05:44 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Makes sense. It's been a lightning rod for trouble.

#296423 - 06/19/20 06:55 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I wonder if they're planning on plowing under Mt. Everest too?

"It's tempting, it's dangerous - therefore no place for it in our society." I've never understood this line of thinking.

#296424 - 06/19/20 07:38 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

It seems it became sort of a shrine for pilgrims to visit. Too many were unprepared and clueless. Some will probably still visit the site.

I guess the other option was to turn it into a park and build a bridge with guardrails.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/19/20 07:39 PM)

#296425 - 06/19/20 07:42 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Disposal?? Absolutely not!! That bus is now an historic artifact and should be preserved and on public display.

Actually, I am fairly serious about this. the bus is central to the "Into the Wild" event which has drawn notable attention worldwide. A proper exhibit will tell the story correctly, doubtless combined with a decent public safety message.

In terms of increased tourism volume, it will more than pay for itself - numerous contemporary examples.

You can tell this old ranger still drinks NPS Kool-Aid.....

#296426 - 06/19/20 07:43 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It should have been done years ago. Aside from being a magnet for the ill-informed and unprepared (necessitating many rescues over the years) it's essentially just litter, an ugly eyesore. Why not just start an open garbage pit or a small strip mine? I don't find junked vehicles to add anything positive to a pristine wilderness setting. There are plenty of junkyards that are located near people, no need for a junkyard in the wilderness.

#296430 - 06/19/20 09:43 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I agree with Hikermor -- whatever you think of the story (or stories) surrounding it, the bus is now a historical artifact with cultural significance. The story and its mythology, as they say, have "legs." Somehow this resonates deeply with people.

The bus (and famous suitcase) just need to be displayed in a suitable shrine where pilgrim travellers can "touch the bones" and have their moment of epiphany without putting themselves and first responders at unnecessary risk.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/19/20 09:45 PM)

#296431 - 06/19/20 11:34 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Some nice pics in this AP story. Didn't know AANG was rockin' Chinooks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/into-the-wild-bus-alaska-helicopter-1.5618746

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/19/20 11:35 PM)

#296436 - 06/20/20 06:00 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: haertig]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: haertig
I wonder if they're planning on plowing under Mt. Everest too?
"It's tempting, it's dangerous - therefore no place for it in our society." I've never understood this line of thinking.
Note that the Teklanika River has not been removed. The river is still there, and people are still free to go attempt to drown themselves if they wish. The only thing that has been removed is an attractant on the far side of the river.

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It should have been done years ago. Aside from being a magnet for the ill-informed and unprepared (necessitating many rescues over the years) it's essentially just litter, an ugly eyesore. Why not just start an open garbage pit or a small strip mine? I don't find junked vehicles to add anything positive to a pristine wilderness setting. There are plenty of junkyards that are located near people, no need for a junkyard in the wilderness.
I tend to agree with Phaedrus. The Alaska bush is littered with far too much junk left behind by miners. Back in the day there was no requirement for miners to clean up their trash when they ended their activities. In more recent times, there have been rules, but very lax enforcement. Nowadays, some (but not all) miners act like it is an infringement on their rights to be required to clean up after themselves on public lands.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Disposal?? Absolutely not!! That bus is now an historic artifact and should be preserved and on public display.
Actually, I am fairly serious about this. the bus is central to the "Into the Wild" event which has drawn notable attention worldwide. A proper exhibit will tell the story correctly, doubtless combined with a decent public safety message.
In terms of increased tourism volume, it will more than pay for itself - numerous contemporary examples.

You can tell this old ranger still drinks NPS Kool-Aid.....
I guess the question is, at what point does trash, junk, and litter become a historic artifact? In some places, such as Kennicott, the NPS has spent a lot of money to maintain and protect old relics of mining history. At other places, the NPS has gone to considerable lengths to try to restore areas to their pre-mining condition.

In any case, the old ranger should keep in mind that regarding the Magic Bus, the National Park Service does not have jurisdiction. The bus is, or rather was, located on State of Alaska land, just outside the Denali National Park boundary.

Edited by AKSAR (06/20/20 06:03 PM)

#296437 - 06/20/20 07:07 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
MTC
Previous generations should not be condemned for what they did to the environment. With out them we would not have the the USA . We are not perfect and it is best to learn from history.
Very few people today would survive, the hardships. Try walking and canoeing across a hostile land like Lewis and Clark,wearing wool uniforms and no showers.
Hikermor is correct .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.