Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294556 - 01/14/20 06:35 PM Question for GPS Owners
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
For those of you who use car and handheld GPS units:

For a North American location, does your system ask you to enter longitude as a negative number (-xx.xxx), or as a positive number with the West designation (xx.xxx W)?

I'm writing a guidebook for end users, and trying to explain how different GIS systems designate the coordinates in comparison to car/handheld units.

Thanks!

#294557 - 01/14/20 08:14 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have an old Magellan Meridian Plus and it uses positive numbers. I've got a GPS in our 2008 Prius and it uses positive numbers for input.

I looked at my iPhone (11) and none of the three map apps had an option for longitude/latitude entry. They all expect you to use a 'street' style map or to use landmarks to locate spots I guess.

This is making me think I need to do some serious research on this as it never occurred to me that putting in this information would be problematic.

#294559 - 01/14/20 08:41 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: pforeman]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Did my 'research' - thank goodness for the internet!

To get the coordinates on smartphone map apps you just have to pick a spot and put a 'pin' on it (usually just touch the map spot for a bit and the pin will come up). The information is then listed in the 'pin' when you touch it and scroll around in the properties/data part of the 'pin' information.

This works for the Apple iPhone map app, the maps.me app and the Google map app too.

This is good to know now and not sometime in the future when I really need it... Thanks for making me think and learn something.

Edited by pforeman (01/14/20 08:43 PM)

#294563 - 01/15/20 12:14 AM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My Garmin's Nuvi automotive gps use N and W. My Garmin GPSMAP 60csx uses N and W. Google maps uses + and -.

#294614 - 01/19/20 02:35 AM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Lat and Long in North America will always be either have Hemisphere as a Letter, i.e. N/S or North as positive and South as Negative for Latitude and E/W or East as positive and West as Negative. Lat & Long on Wikipedia
boreal.net

#294615 - 01/19/20 03:35 AM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks everyone for your responses -- much appreciated.

I understand how the coordinate system works: I'm just asking for a heads-up on the quirks of the GPS systems you own and use.

#294620 - 01/19/20 03:39 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Personally, I don't use Lat/Long if there's another choice. UTM is better, but still is not very user friendly IMHO. I have recently discovered something called what3words. Three words are used to uniquely define a location down to (I believe) a 9'x9' square. So you can communicate a very specific location. Put into perspective, if you were describing the location of a parking space, you would be able to specify the front half of the space or the back half. That's pretty good resolution. It's easier to remember and transmit three words than a string of numbers like you have to with Lat/Long or UTM.

e.g., If I wanted to tell someone specifically where to meet me at the Denver Zoo (the front ticket gate in this example), I would say "go to ozone.prop.wasp"

That would be commonly written as ///ozone.prop.wasp or as a link https://what3words.com/ozone.prop.wasp

You can access this via a web browser, or as an app on your smartphone. You can zoom in and switch to satellite view to really see where you are going. It links to Google Maps for directions.

Anyway - I slid a bit off-topic here - it's another alternative to Lat/Long that I think is much more user friendly.

#294621 - 01/19/20 06:31 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
That is so cool, haertig!

After a *long* time in ham radio I’m putting together my first HF rig. Recently I learned about a ham radio specific location coordinate system used for contesting and propagation measurement called Maidenhead Grid Squares (http://www.arrl.org/grid-squares). “Ozone Prop Wasp” would appear to be “DM79ms60”. While Maidenhead Grid Squares can be very precise, I’m given to understand that they are usually used with eight or fewer characters of precision.

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/19/20 06:31 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarity

#294632 - 01/20/20 02:59 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
After a *long* time in ham radio I’m putting together my first HF rig.

What a coincidence you mentioned ham radio. I am starting a class to get my Technicians license this evening. Then immediately thereafter I am enrolled in the next class, for my General license. How many years now have I been threatening to do this? I sputter along, reading books (many of which I got from a fellow Colorado ETS member!) but just never closed the deal and went and took the test. I finally figured attending an actual class, with actual real people in it, might get me off my butt. Countdown to that starting is 10 hours from now. I'm excited!

#294634 - 01/20/20 03:10 PM Re: Question for GPS Owners [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Lat/Lon seems to be the standard while UTM is better for estimating distances between points.

Go git'em Haertig :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.