The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#134874 - 06/05/08 06:39 PM Tool of Choice
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
In a forum where the number one tool of choice is a pocket knife, I have mentioned a few times that my tool of choice is a pair of EMT shears. I don't try to be a rebel, it's simply a pair of EMT shears works best for me for my environment. How many brave souls are out there who are willing to admit they use something other than a pocket knife and what is your tool of choice?

Jeanette Isabelle

#134880 - 06/05/08 08:00 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

You're braver than most!

For many of us (and I'm by no means immune) pride, greed, and lust get in the way of better judgement.

I tell people all the time the only knife they need is a $9 Mora but personally spend tons on cutlery that I don't need.

EMT Shears are great but I hide mine in my first aid kits...where I usually can't get at them for the every day tasks they excel at.

#134881 - 06/05/08 08:12 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Right on, Jeannette-
We carry knives only because they won't let us carry swords.

I agree that EMT shears can do almost anything that a knife can do-scissors are, after all, just two funny-looking knives hooked together. And, with the regard to psk's that will make it past the airport screen, please note that pointed scissors with blades less than 4 inches are permissible. (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm)
So, one can travel with a useful edged device-EMT shears.
So under your gentle and astute guidance, we will soon see the blade in the DRPSK replaces with teeny scissors from a swiss army knife.

#134882 - 06/05/08 08:35 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: nursemike]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

in a previous environment my first choice was also emt shears.

now the tool of choice for me is a leatherman squirt p4.

it's an edc item for me. and it has a blade.

#134883 - 06/05/08 08:54 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: bsmith]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I am going to(next year) edc trauma shears, just because my school doesn't let me carry a knife (even though I do sometimes, and I know plenty of people who do) just because I really don't want to risk it.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#134888 - 06/05/08 10:02 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: nursemike]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: nursemike
So under your gentle and astute guidance, we will soon see the blade in the DRPSK replaces with teeny scissors from a swiss army knife.

I don't want to see that. The point is to use the best tool for the job. If a Katana happens the best tool for the job, use a Katana, don't use a wrench.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134889 - 06/05/08 10:28 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
. . .The point is to use the best tool for the job. . .
Exactly, which is why I've switched to various SAK's and multi-tools for daily carry. Scissors are just one of the very useful tools. I found myself not needing the high end steels in my locking folders and that Victor's Inox wink steel is more than adequate for 99% of what I need a knife for. Leatherman and Swiss Army Knives are great to have handy. I'm not ready to fall back to a pair of EMT shears, but have no problem with those that can. cool
'course, if you look in my EDC backpack, you'll find a mini RSK, I just can't not carry a good locking folder

#134892 - 06/05/08 10:36 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Nothing wrong with EMT shears. You can accomplish a great deal with them. And you're probably better prepared for the unexpected than any of your friends.

I carry EMT shears on commercial aircraft, and am glad to have them.

But it's worth noting that a knife has a broader range of uses, especially outside of urban (man-made) areas. So that tends to be the default tool of choice for most of us.

#134894 - 06/05/08 10:53 PM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
But it's worth noting that a knife has a broader range of uses, especially outside of urban (man-made) areas. So that tends to be the default tool of choice for most of us.

Considering how most of the members seem to be "the great outdoors" type, I would agree.

Jeanette Isabelle

#134915 - 06/06/08 02:16 AM Re: Tool of Choice [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have several pair of ETM scissors scattered around, but I can't whittle with them, and more importantly, I can't clean my fingernails with them. So I pack my Leatherman Wave all the time. Won't cut a penny in half like the EMT's will, but it will do a lot of other usefull things...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.