The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#270428 - 06/14/14 02:11 AM Surviving a Small City
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm a big city gal, born in raised in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. I'm now in a small city with the estimated population of 56,945. The only mall in the area is Paddock Mall. There are no trains, the nearest bus stop is at the mall and new construction is almost nonexistent.

What can I do to not go bonkers?

Jeanette Isabelle

#270435 - 06/14/14 11:28 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Happy was the day when DFW was in my rear view mirror, where I spent most of my childhood. It is basically flat, dull, relatively uninteresting country. I went West (like Horace Greeley advocated) to where there are mountains, deserts, foaming rivers, cliff dwellings, and all kinds of neat stuff. i have spent some time in Florida, and although it is rather flat, it is far more interesting turf than north central Texas. Scuba diving, fishing, boating in general (esp. kayaking), would be some of the things I would consider. There is a lot of fairly wild country there - what are your interests? It occurs that you may not care for wild things....

Edited by hikermor (06/14/14 11:30 AM)

#270438 - 06/14/14 12:52 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I like concrete under my feet. I like to be around tall buildings, city parks and fountains. Seeing new construction and city lights are some of the simple pleasures of life.

I would drive to a nearby parking lot at night just to see the lights from the TV towers. I would stand by a fountain, close my eyes and listen to the water fall and smell the chlorinated water.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270439 - 06/14/14 02:00 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
... "smell the chlorinated water" ... ? Okay, I admit that humor around here is subtle at times smile

When I was in DC I loved to go for a run after a thunderstorm because the air was charged and smelled of ozone, but you get that after a T-storm just about anywhere.

#270440 - 06/14/14 03:29 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

What can I do to not go bonkers?

On a slightly different tack from the recreational ideas, have you thought about volunteer opportunities?

Depending on your talents and interests, you may find a "fit" with some local organization that needs your help in helping others.

Aside from the help you are providing, you may find it a good way to get to know other local folks, them to get to know you, and for you to feel more a part of the local community.

#270442 - 06/14/14 04:48 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Move back to the big city?

#270443 - 06/14/14 05:03 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I always joined what the locals were doing. I made good friends and had a great time wherever I happened to land.

#270444 - 06/14/14 05:06 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I sympathies ize! But,I must ask the obvious question: If it's not to your taste, why did you move there in the first place? Second question: Why don't you employ your obviously good mind to creating the conditions to move to a more conducive location.

If you really want a true big city experience ( in the Classic European understanding of a city) , there are only four real choices: NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, & San Francisco. DC is more a power center than a City. But it's fabulous museums, monuments and arts venues are world class. Runners-up would be Seattle, Boston & Miami. Honorable mention to Portland for its unique walk/ bike cultures. Yes, I know, I left out LA. IMO LA is an amalgam of sprawl, not a real downtown centered city in the classic sense.

And before anyone gets prissy about it, these are my opinions. I am not knocking or belittling any other Metro type area. Other locales may be lovely, lively , friendly, cultured and newer. They just aren't what I consider a classic city, e.g. London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Amsterdam, Vienna, & Budapest.

#270449 - 06/14/14 09:59 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
... "smell the chlorinated water" ... ? Okay, I admit that humor around here is subtle at times smile

I'm serious. Sometimes I like to play in the fountain.

There are a couple of fountains I know where water shoots from the pavement. A person can walk in the middle of it. There I like to stand and close my eyes and listen to the water fall in surround sound.

Originally Posted By: Russ
When I was in DC I loved to go for a run after a thunderstorm because the air was charged and smelled of ozone, but you get that after a T-storm just about anywhere.

I love a warm, summer rain. I love standing there in it with concrete under my feet. Then I would go into a building dry off, drink a cup of coffee and continue to watch the rain. And yes, I too love the smell of the rain.

Jeanette Isabelle

#270450 - 06/14/14 10:01 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Deathwind]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Move back to the big city?

I can't. I moved here with Mom for mental health reasons.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.