Topic Options
#289997 - 07/21/18 11:15 PM Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This is some fine flying. Had to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=fZ-mhmpHXic

By the way, my house was buzzed at twice treetop level by three CAF Chinooks in formation, about a month ago. Lucky me -- I was working in the yard that day. Very, very cool. And you wouldn't believe how fast and quiet these big birds are compared to the Huey variants.

#289998 - 07/21/18 11:31 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Neat footage. I have been informed by helo pilots who just touched down part of the ship that while we were loading the victim, etc. they were still actively flying the ship - this in post op critiques.

There are a lot of people walking round today who wouldn't if it were not for the expertise of those pilots....

#290009 - 07/23/18 09:17 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Yes he is essentially holding a hover. I think this pilot or crew has experience flying in Afghanistan. That technique is more common there, and necessary in certain areas. Watch those rotor blades!

#290011 - 07/23/18 10:34 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Back when I was active in SAR, the birds and their pilots got seasoned in Vietnam. They commented that they appreciated the challenges of SAR in crazy terrain - their day to day ops involved routine deliveries to missile silos around Tucson.

#290012 - 07/23/18 11:35 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: dougwalkabout]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
That technique is known as a "toe-in" - though I had never seen it performed with a Chinook - and its use is very common with putting down and picking field crews in Alaska and western Canada. Be gentle when you're tossing your pack into the ship...

#290020 - 07/24/18 04:55 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: yelp]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: yelp
That technique is known as a "toe-in" - though I had never seen it performed with a Chinook - and its use is very common with putting down and picking field crews in Alaska and western Canada. Be gentle when you're tossing your pack into the ship...
Well actually, the pilot is backing in to the mountain, so I suppose it might technically be called a "butt in"? smile

What is especially interesting in this case is that the pilot is facing the other way, and therefore he/she must be very dependent instructions from a crew member at the rear of the ship to get the aircraft into position while keeping the rotor clear of the mountain. One advantage of backing in with the Chinook is that the tail rotor is higher than the front rotor, which gives some extra clearance.

"Toe ins" and other variations such as a "one skid" are indeed used from time to time to put field crews into spots in rugged terrain. And yes, one climbs in/out of the ship very gently, especially with smaller, less powerful helicopters!

#290021 - 07/24/18 05:24 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Even at less than full power, the downdraft from a Chinook is impressively frigid. I learned this on Denali years ago when we disassembled the Advanced Base at 14,000 feet and loaded it and our shivering bodies into the bird. But it was mind boggling to land in sunny Talkeetna in a few minutes after weeks on the glacier.

#290022 - 07/24/18 05:40 PM Re: Cool Helicopter Rescue -- Mt. Hood [Re: dougwalkabout]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is comforting to know that such pilots and crews are out there and willing to do such things.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.