Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285432 - 08/14/17 04:45 AM Solar eclipse, anyone?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The great American solar eclipse is next week! Is anyone making plans to see it? What are your thoughts for people who might want to see it?

I'm thinking about making a drive from the Gulf Coast to Tennessee to get within the zone of total eclipse. A quick check shows it may be quite tough to get a room in that area. There are also people price-gouging on Airbnb (charging thousands!). Staying outside of the total eclipse zone seems a lot more possible, but then driving six hours just to see a partial solar eclipse feels like cheating yourself.

Another problem is the traffic. Check out the graph on this link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...3097025&z=4

The red just makes my heart sink. I'm sure there will be some medical emergencies and accidents. The congestion will make it harder for the ambulance to get there.

Edited by Bingley (08/14/17 04:45 AM)

#285433 - 08/14/17 05:17 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
I will be viewing the eclipse from Oregon.

#285434 - 08/14/17 05:18 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm about 1-3/4 hours away from the center of the totality zone (during normal traffic). However, the traffic up from Denver to Wyoming, the route I'd have to take up I-25, is expected to be a near dead standstill. No place to stay at this late date. Wouldn't pay the asking price of around $1000 per night for a hotel room even if one were available. Camping would be out of the question - everything snarfed up long ago.

I want to go. But I think I'll have to pass. Most likely outcome from an attempt to get there would be seeing a partial eclipse from the middle of a horrible traffic jam far short of the totality zone. You'd probably needs days worth of emergency supplies just to survive the traffic. I think I'll have to be satisfied with the approx 90% eclipse in my backyard.

I've got a good friend in rural Kentucky whose place is right in the middle of the totality zone. Perfect spot. He said that local law enforcement are warning the locals to banish all people from their property, else the visitors would probably end up owning the property (after suing from getting hurt on it due to crowds/accidents).

#285441 - 08/14/17 02:23 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sitting away from totality, I will just watch on TV....

#285457 - 08/15/17 12:42 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'm going to try getting to Sweetwater TN. We're about 100 miles from totality as the crow flies. There are back roads (yellow on the map) leading from Knoxville.

#285460 - 08/15/17 12:26 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My college-age daughter's horse is at a ranch that is dead center on totality very near to the location with the longest eclipse duration. Of course they are holding an eclipse party. Lucky her!!

I'm guessing the nearby larger town will be absolutely crazy with the entire state headed there.

#285462 - 08/15/17 03:16 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
There aren't any eclipse watching parties I know of, Mom and I will be watching from the Freedom Library where there will be no obstruction.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285472 - 08/15/17 11:34 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I won't be looking for it. For those who do, make sure you have the right eye protection. Per NASA
Quote:
...The Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye only during the few brief seconds or minutes of a total solar eclipse. Partial eclipses, annular eclipses, and the partial phases of total eclipses are never safe to watch without taking special precautions. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface is obscured during the partial phases of a total eclipse, the remaining photospheric crescent is intensely bright and cannot be viewed safely without eye protection [Chou, 1981; Marsh, 1982]. Do not attempt to observe the partial or annular phases of any eclipse with the naked eye. Failure to use appropriate filtration may result in permanent eye damage or blindness!...
More at the link.

#285482 - 08/16/17 10:15 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I've been invited to spend the weekend at a friend's family farm in Nebraska for the eclipse.

Lodging has been reserved for a long time in the area. Even the light aircraft airports require a reservation for parking space on the ramp (Alliance, NE)

Sounds like things might get really crazy in towns and on the roads.

(which is why I've programmed my scanner with all the documented jurisdictions I'll drive thru :-)

Edited by unimogbert (08/16/17 10:15 PM)

#285484 - 08/16/17 10:22 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There was a total eclipse when I was a kid in 1979, and the whole school went outside with glasses to watch it. It's forever in my memory.

We're only getting a partial eclipse here this time, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the kiddos. I'll have four on Monday, ages 2,3,4 and 5. 14 year old bacpacboy will be here too. I don't trust them not to take their glasses off. wink Watch the shadows outside or watch the eclipse on tv/computer?

Does anyone know of any cool things activities to do with the kiddos during a partial eclipse?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.