The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284441 - 05/03/17 01:38 PM Tips & Tricks for Ticks
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The Frozen Tinned Goods thread has brought up something I'd appreciate your help with: Ticks. UGH!

Ticks are becoming increasingly prevalent in these parts, and Lyme disease is on the rise too. It's gone from a dog walkers problem to everyone's problem around here anyway. I know this has been an every day thing for many of you here, so I thought I'd ask if anyone have any solid advice for dealing with them?

Preferred tweezers/tick removers? Methods for removal? Prevention tips?

Thanks gang!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284444 - 05/03/17 01:59 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The Tick Key. We've used it countless times on our kids and dogs. Inexpensive, reusable, and works easily and quickly.

#284446 - 05/03/17 02:56 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The Tick Key. We've used it countless times on our kids and dogs. Inexpensive, reusable, and works easily and quickly.

I use something similair; Enetorpet. Some idea with the V-slot. Easy to use, easy to clean.

As for prevention, you can get pants with a permathine threatment (or buy the threatment in the form of a spray). But they don't last that long...

#284448 - 05/03/17 08:48 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
There are 2 parts to prevention: 1) prevent the tick "bite" and 2) prevent full scale infection after the tick "bite".

A young woman where I worked was bitten by a tick (probably transferred from one of her dogs). She removed it and took it and herself to the Doctor, wherein it and she tested positive for Lyme disease. Therein ensued a substantial period of antibiotics and ultimately, she was clear and OK.

I also knew a guy who was all but an invalid due to undiagnosed and untreated Lyme Disease. Not good.

Where I live, (Maryland, USA) we now just assume that ticks are infected.

Moral of the story; if you remove an embedded tick, don't assume you are safe---take it and yourself (or whoever was bitten) to a Doctor and get pro-active treatment!

#284449 - 05/03/17 10:11 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In removing ticks, be sure to get the entire critter. Just pulling on the visible parts may leave the head embedded, leading to complicating infections. Some recommend dropping a bit of oil on the body, cutting off the tick's air supply, whereupon the tick will spontaneously withdraw.

You want the tick, the whole tick, and nothing but the tick....

#284452 - 05/04/17 04:31 AM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
In removing ticks, be sure to get the entire critter. Just pulling on the visible parts may leave the head embedded, leading to complicating infections. Some recommend dropping a bit of oil on the body, cutting off the tick's air supply, whereupon the tick will spontaneously withdraw.

Apperently when you sufficate a tic, if will spit out its contents while getting out. No good if the goal is not getting infected with Lyme...

#284455 - 05/04/17 01:22 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Apparently when you suffocate a tic, if will spit out its contents while getting out. No good if the goal is not getting infected with Lyme...

I was quoting an older source, which apparently is not up to date. In any event, the best course is to find the tick before it burrows in.

I really dislike ticks - disgusting creatures!

#284457 - 05/04/17 07:04 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Prevention: Treat your clothes with permethrin. (I order from Amazon since you can't buy it in retail). It should last 4-6 washings. Veterinary places carry it for horses but with a different lower potency formula. Around the house, plant chrysanthemums which is the source for permetherin chemicals. Be wary, it is dangerous to cats and fatal to fish even in small doses. Low concentrations are OK for dogs and dog collars/beds. Treat your skin with Deet products. I haven't tried it but blousing your pant legs should help keep them out of your ankles. And have a partner walk through the bush ahead of you and let them pick up the majority of the ticks. smile

#284458 - 05/04/17 10:45 PM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Light colored clothing makes them easier to spot...

#284459 - 05/05/17 12:16 AM Re: Tips & Tricks for Ticks [Re: bacpacjac]
GoatMan Offline

FWIW - I can find permetherin spray at my local REI. But I'm sure it is cheaper online.

Best prevention while walking in tick country: calf length sox and pants. Treated ones help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.