The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278508 - 01/05/16 01:19 AM Gas rotation
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just done that! Nothing special, indeed, but decided to share my first experience with the beginners or those on the fence.

I've got a small generator recently and a 5 gal plastic red canister for the gas supply for it. My first mistake was to fill it with the Premium gas, as the generator's manual recommends. Though, I'm refueling my car with the Regular one (also per manufacturer recommendation). So, when the time to rotate came (I've decided on a 6 month cycle with the regular "Sta Bil" additive), I had to wait until my car tank was completely dry (it's a no-no to mix the two grades, a.f.a.i.r.) and then again one more time prior to a regular refueling. Quite nervous thing to me, as I rarely had it even half empty, and only once in 16 years saw the "fuel low" light lit. By the way, needles to say, but the 6 mo.old gas (with stabilizer) has worked flawlessly with all the high octane benefits immediately evident.

The second problem I dealt with was the car refueling from that canister. It has a "safe vapor release valve" type nozzle, which is not suitable for direct car tank refilling (too short, too thick). So, an adapter is needed. I have misplaced the original one a while ago and forgot even how it looks like, but by an accident, have found a similar adapter in my storage, which probably came with some other canister, or maybe with a hand pump. It fitted well over the vapor release nozzle and was long enough to open the tank's valve, even though the tank's lid was interfering with the canister's side a bit. However, it turned out that it has lacked very important tolerances at the intake side, preventing the air coming through that fancy nozzle and replacing the empty volume. As you can imagine, the created vacuum resulted in multiple approaches, many spills, and allowed me to set a new record in car refueling at the whopping 5 minutes per gallon. A good 25 minute workout with the 40 pound weight though.

Since then I have permanently attached the original adapter right to the canister's handle with a stripe of gorilla tape (in a resealable way) and a paracord lanyard (made a hole in the adapter's collar). Also I have figured that the best way to quickly refuel with it is holding the canister upside down. Though, the Regular gas is yet to be tested with the generator.

#278510 - 01/05/16 01:37 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Alex
Just done that! Nothing special, indeed, but decided to share my first experience with the beginners or those on the fence.

This is a very good thing to do. I keep a log of every time I run or maintain my generator, and I've included rotation of the gas supply in the log. Gas treated with stabilizer will last (according to the stabilizer manufacturer) for a year. I don't wait even close to a year, though.

Quote:
(it's a no-no to mix the two grades, a.f.a.i.r.)

I've never heard this before. I've mixed Premium and Regular too many times to count without any noticeable issues in the cars I've owned.

#278511 - 01/05/16 01:42 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: chaosmagnet]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Quote:
(it's a no-no to mix the two grades, a.f.a.i.r.)

I've never heard this before. I've mixed Premium and Regular too many times to count without any noticeable issues in the cars I've owned.

Same here. Never heard of not being able to mix grades of gas, especially with modern cars and their fuel injection systems.

John Lubbock

#278512 - 01/05/16 01:59 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Like others have stated I've never heard that thing about mixing gas grades. Mixing fuel grades should be no big deal as long as you're mixing into a tank that takes the lower grade. Since your car takes regular, this is a non-issue.

#278513 - 01/05/16 02:01 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Transferring gas from jerry can to car/truck is a hassle as you described.

Long ago, I purchased one of these boat fuel lines for transferring gas. As I have a pickup truck, I lift then let the 5 gallon jerry can sit on the corner of the front and side top rail of the truck box then put one end of the hose in the can and the other in the truck tank, squeeze the priming bulb a few times and the gas starts flowing via suction and gravity.

I have never timed a full 5 gallon transfer but don't think it takes much more then 8-10 minutes max. Sure saves a lot of work, especially when venturing far enough off-road where gas transfer needs to be done a couple of times in a day. Also these boat fuel lines are made out of much sturdier and reliable materials then the typical and gimmicky consumer fuel line transfer hoses and should last a lifetime.

This may not work for you unless you have somewhere on the car or something like a Workmate type table where you can place the gas can a bit higher then the car gas tank.

John Lubbock

#278517 - 01/05/16 06:03 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Reserched the mixing subject on google. The no no rule pertains to ancient carburetor engines only. Modern cars are totaly fine with that. I must admit, that knowledge is probably originating from the third world country experience where I was born smile

#278518 - 01/05/16 06:21 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Based on my experience I think problems regarding storing gasoline are somewhat exaggerated.

I have a small generator (3 KW) to run essential systems in case of power outages. I keep about 15 gal of gasoline in five gallon plastic jerrycans. In the summer I use a small amount of the gas to run the lawn mower. Every fall I put a small amount of gas in the generator and start it up to make sure it runs properly. (I do not keep any fuel in the generator tank for long periods.) Then I pour last years gas into our cars, and refill the jerrycans with fresh gas for the winter.

So the gasoline is stored for a full year before use. I do not use Stabilizer. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years now, and have yet to see any discernible issues with the generator, lawn mower, or our cars.

I should note that the jerrycans are tightly sealed, and are stored in a shed in a shaded part of my property. In summer it doesn't get very hot in Anchorage (70 F is a warm day), and I doubt the temperature in that shed rarely if ever goes above 70 F.

#278519 - 01/05/16 06:49 AM Re: Gas rotation [Re: AKSAR]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

AKSAR, are you sealing them in a special way? Or just closing them tight? Perhaps the low temp is the key. Can you show what jerrycans you've got? I'm thinking about classic steel ones, they are just $25 shipped.

#278528 - 01/05/16 02:06 PM Re: Gas rotation [Re: Alex]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
like Teslinhiker, I use a marine bulb type fuel fill system, but add an additional step... I run it completely from an external tank, that once the line is primed by the bulb, runs by siphon (tank above genset)... I've added a double barb in the line to connect the 1/4" carb inlet to the 5/16" supply hoses... the coupling comes apart, and the fuel bowl is completely run dry each time I test the system...

#278536 - 01/05/16 07:11 PM Re: Gas rotation [Re: LesSnyder]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Looking at the hose link opening size I have some doubt in the transferring efficiency (too small diameter). It's probably OK as a fuel supply line to the engine, however the nozzle opening on my canister is something like 2/3". But sure thing the gravity principle is very appealing. I should probably try to find that primitive gas pump I have stored somewhere and see if it will support the direct flow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 384 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.