The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271186 - 08/12/14 03:54 PM "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I am just back from visiting my relatives in Europe. While walking in the park, I noticed people who were walking with two short poles, in a style similar to cross country skiing and the gym machines that simulate it. I was told that it is "Nordic Walking" and that it increases the workout level of walking, burns more calories and adds upper body work out. Wikipedia has some similar information. Apparently it has been grown in popularity for the past several years. It is called "Nordic Walking."

My relatives set up a 1 hour introductory lesson for me, and I am interested in giving it a try as I want to increase the intensity of my walks, but the knees won't stand the impact of jogging, or carrying weights.

Does anyone have any experience with, knowledge of, or advice they can pass on? Here in the US, (Maryland, near Annapolis) there does not seem to be any local organizations that I can turn to.

Any information or advice is appreciated.

#271188 - 08/12/14 05:56 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Most important is that the poles are of right length. Rule of thumb: your own length minus 50cm or 19.6 inches. For example: Iīm 169cm. I have poles that are 115cm.

Movement of arms should be just as if you donīt have poles, that is, like when walking normally.

Poles must allways point backwards. Point of the pole should hit the ground no further ahead than beside the ankle of the forward foot. If the point of pole hit the ground infront of the foot there will be no fluid movement. That is a common mistake to swing the poles in front of the forward foot.

Walking speed with poles will automatically be abit faster than walking without poles. That is because one must put some pressure on the pole, just like in skiing crosscountry.

Thatīs all I can say with my experiance.

Nordic walking is not hard. If you can walk, you can Nordic Walk. (my own invented slogan grin)

Edited by Herman30 (08/12/14 05:56 PM)

#271190 - 08/12/14 07:22 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am at the stage in life where my knees are giving me problems, and I no longer run, or do marathons, so I need to find something that keeps me in shape. Over the last several years I have turned more to cycling, either on the road or on a stationary machine.

Many backpackers have "Nordic walked", for years, using two poles (adjustables are the best bet), but frankly my experience is that it doesn't really do that much to help the knees -there is still a lot of pounding. I am skeptical about the alleged benefits, compared to jsut getting out and putting one foot in front of the other.

Swimming is the ultimate for non weight bering aerobic exercise, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

#271201 - 08/13/14 05:16 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

For many years I kept myself fit by Power Walking (i.e. Walking fast, erect torso, arms about horizontal but bent ~90%, pump arms forward til elbow parallel to side of chest, all while taking fast but short steps, wearing 1.5 to 3lb.s wrist weights). In pole or Nordic walking you substitute poles or wooden walking sticks for the weights. It worked very well to provide a great aerobic workout and a moderate core & upper body exercise.

Google "Nordic (or pole) walking instructional". You will find several instructional videos, articles, & blogs, etc. I'd suggest purchasing the Leki spring cushioned poles with the bent hand holds. Not cheap, but they help with posture due to the grip angle and the shock absorbing quality of the springs lessens the upper body soreness caused by striking the ground when "planting" the pole. If you want purpose built wood poles, try the Brasos Walking Stick site.

Don't pay any attention to those who will give you strange looks or sniggering comments. An equal number of folks will be fascinated and will ask you to explain your methods, especially if you frequent the same routes. Enjoy.

#271202 - 08/13/14 06:06 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I prefer Prancercise, a rhythmic way of moving forward similar to the gait of a horse. You don't need sticks, just a bit of courage. There is always a crowd taking videos of you and putting them on Youtube, so you don't even need to record yourself to share with friends and family!

#271204 - 08/13/14 08:50 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
A friend uses weighted poles (filled with sand) while on long backpacking trips to keep his arms in shape for surfing.

#271210 - 08/13/14 03:05 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Checked out the Brazos site - fascinating - but their stuff is rather expensive. I have been using a walking stick of one sort or another when backpacking, etc. for years. I have used everything from a replacement shovel handle (cheap) to collapsible aluminum poles (convenient and versatile) to slightly modified poles found in trail side brush piles (ultimate in cheap). They all worked well.

I am inclined to remove the springs from my aluminum poles, however. Just useless weight and quite unnecessary.

#271213 - 08/13/14 05:23 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
A Google search revealed the poles are quite similar to cross country skiing poles, and some people in fact use cross country skiing poles. You might try connecting with a cross country skiing group. They're probably familiar with Nordic walking. Another Google search revealed that there is a cross country skiing community in Maryland.

Go Nordic walking in the summer, and go cross country skiing in the winter!

#271261 - 08/15/14 05:31 AM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Locals here, take the bails off their ski-poles...unless they are ignorant...the REALLY ignorant ones, still have on their skis...

#271288 - 08/16/14 05:11 PM Re: "Nordic Walking" for fitness : comments/advice/exp [Re: bws48]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I just saw some "trekking" poles at Costco warehouse for $30. They were height adjustable and looked high quality. I almost bought some, and I'm not even into this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.