The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269812 - 05/11/14 03:01 AM Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I started this thread to document my learning process during my first time through the restoration of a council tool and collins legitimus. This is an ongoing process!

Following my recent fail to acquire a GB SFA from LLBean and some unfortunate financial developments at tax time; I decided to save the money and head out to the shed and see what I might restore. I had a badly rusted 3.5 lb council tool Dayton (age unknown) and an un identified double bit, also 3.5. Only markings on the double bit is text "3 1/2". The Council is badly banged up and I have no idea what sort of activity it was subjected to.

I struggled through the removal of the helves as I don't have a proper work area. I'm following approaches I learned here but I have limited resources. I forgot to take shots before the vinegar bath too! These photos are post bath, and post sanding of the council. I have not sanded the double bit yet. I'd like to put a short, maybe 26" on the council tool.

After a bit of work the double bit reveals a logo. Collins Legitimus. Any idea how old? With a little research and feedback from friends online, I learned that Collins Legitimus went out of production in 1966 so this is at least as old. I found this example online of a restore of the same Collins head. It's mirror finish is amazing and started out just like mine. Does one need tools to accomplish this, I wondered.

Did a little looking at Lowes and I took a giant leap ahead in power today by investing in a Gator brand sanding attachment for my drill. Actually invest is not the right term - it's only about $5. Yahoo! Now I can take this to the level I want more quickly. The product came with three stick on disks 60, 100 & 150 grit. Starting with 60 grit:

It was quite simple to remove major pits and deep scratches.
Graduated from 60 grit to 100 deciding I was not going to remove more steel. Pits and deeper scratches that remain, I'm leaving for "character" sake.

I went to hand sanding mode now after finishing 150 grit on drill. Here it is after I did one side by hand with 220 - it's starting to look good!

I printed up a profile guide from the forest service publication "an axe to grind". It's cool! This photo shows where the guide "hits" indicating I've got some meat to remove when I get to filing.

Got both sides sanded to 220 grit. All major scratches are gone except at bit where I believe they are in the file zone and will be cleaned up when sharpening. Below see first pic and current condition. Like a true fool I jumped into this without ever taking the real "before" pic when it was all rusted in the shed!!

Edited by kevingg (05/11/14 03:02 AM)

#269813 - 05/11/14 03:02 AM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I just bought handles for this and the Collins - thanks forum friends for the tip on house handle website. Have a look at the Collins in the first couple photos. I vinegar bathed it to remove surface rust, but nothing else yet. I'm tempted to leave it's natural patina rather than sand shiny like I'm doing the council - thoughts?

Well after doing the 400 and 600, I did a quick five minutes each with my 1000 and 2000 wet dry sandpapers on the Council. I promise I'm not going to be neurotic about trying to keep this shine once this becomes a woods axe. Since this is my very first restore, I wanted to see how far i could take it for experience. Next step going to work on reprofiling the edge using the USFS guide I posted a bit ago and a file.

At this point in my journey I've reached a mirror finish on the Council Tool, and resigned myself to put the Collins on hold until I "learn my way" through the Council project. If you saw my other post, you know that I recently scored a Grandfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet at a giveaway price; but it didn't affect my desire to do these restorations. In fact, I am enjoying this activity more and more with each step I take.

A week or so ago I bought my handles from House Handles; a website with great prices, selection and high quality handles. Shipping is also at cost which is nice. If you order from them, be sure to request "select grain handles" and no finish (you'll want to linseed it yourself). They up charge a couple bucks for this but its worth it.

While waiting for the handles to arrive, I methodically planned my next steps by reading anything and everything I could find on the topic of refinishing axes, axe re-profiling, axe sharpening, axe hanging as well as general axe use, maintenance and care materials.
[video=youtube;Xz3rs-eaN3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3rs-eaN3E[/video]
When I found a great resources, I read and re-read them. From these works I formed a list of things I'd like to make and/or acquire to get through future project steps - like a wooden carpenter's mallet, some proper files, wood rasp, linseed oil, Swel-Lok, file card, Wonderbar rust eraser... In addition to the regular advice and feedback from the forums, I have found the following to be indispensable:

1. An Axe to Grind on youtube by the U.S. Forest Service [url="https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/recreational_trails/publications/fs_publications/99232823/"]Axe to Grind by the U.S. Forest Service[/url] as well as the detailed PDF of the same title.

2. The [url="http://thewoodslife.com/?p=1579"]Woods Life Blog[/url] has three fantastic blogs on axe restoration and care.

My plan is to reprofile the Council Tool with a file soon because the cheek is just too thick. I realize now that I might have been better off doing this before the fine grit sanding work I've done, but I don't mind doing it again as my goal is to do it right first and foremost.

I'm also thinking ahead about the hang. I like detail in the Forest Service publication and video, so I'm planning to follow it closely. One of my next purchases will be Swel-Lok which is the recommendation Bernie Weisgerber (author of Axe to Grind) for the wedge treatment prior to driving it home. I also need a "Carpenter's Wooden Mallet", and tonight decided to make one from an old fence post I was going to throw away. I saw the beginnings of a handle already, so decided to go with it!

I made a couple vertical cuts down the quadrants of the existing "handle", then turned the post on its side and began to cut out the wedges.

An excuse to use the Gransfors I just acquired for $30:

Next I just sanded the heck out of everything for a few minutes

Now I think I have a serviceable mallet for hanging/wedge driving!

Today I finished the mallet by installing an oak facade over one face of the cedar. This will be more durable I suspect. It's two "craft" slats cut out of a $5 plank from Lowes. I used Titebond II wood glue and a couple couple countersunk wood screws. Also seen in the picture below is a new file I purchased and a finger guard made from oak scrap. Clamps will fasten the head to the table during filing which I plan to do next. The key (as I see it) to the reprofiling process will be the axe bit guage printed from the USFS manual as well as the detailed description of the process from thewoodslife blog.

#269814 - 05/11/14 03:21 AM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I love the pictures. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

#269815 - 05/11/14 03:26 AM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
thats about the most impressive bit of work i have seen in awhile!

#269817 - 05/11/14 04:26 AM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Nice work cant wait.
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#269823 - 05/11/14 02:11 PM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Great work and craftsmanship Kevin. Reading your post and seeing the pictures gives me some incentive to cleanup an old ax and saw that I have been meaning to work on for a few years now.

John Lubbock

#269846 - 05/12/14 05:07 PM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Thanks friends! I've got some serious file work ahead to get the profile correct. I'll be posting what I learned in that next!

#269874 - 05/13/14 06:32 PM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

With the detailed articles from USFS and Woodslife on my mind, I setup my work area for filing the bit and cheek to match the bit gauge. I’m working with an improvised work area, so I used a couple clamps and an oak scrap to fasten the head to the table. I sketched a number of lines on the bit and cheek with a fine tipped sharpie as you can see below. First, from about 2” from the blade and out to the toe and heel of the blade I sketched the “half-moon” shape referred to by USFS as the zone that will get filed when rehabbing an axe head. I also marked with a dashed line where the USFS edge gauge “hits” the bit (ie. where initial thinning is needed). In the Axe to Grind video, USFS demonstrates a filing motion that generally begins at the edge then follows the convex towards the cheek (while maintaining file direction straight towards poll not at an angle to it). He shows how the gauge is used to identify where the cheek needs to be thinned. The video does not go into detail with regard to the differences in technique when “sharpening” vs. re-profiling. This is the main difference in the Woodslife blog, where the author separates the processes and “zones” of cheek re-profiling vs. convex bit sharpening (both zones to be seamlessly transitioned eventually). He generally sets the boundary between the two areas at ½” from the edge. For this reason I marked the point ½” from the edge with the Sharpie (see photo). You can see that it’s very close to the dashed line. Since I seek to match the edge gauge, I will target the dashed line while keeping the ½” line in mind!

With these guide lines drawn, I set the file on the head as shown below in the orientation demonstrated by USFS. The file is touching at the dashed line where I will be removing material, and just about hits the cheek ALSO at the eye (see photo below). For this reason I decided to wrap the head in tape to protect this area before filing.

Even so, it will be difficult to use the full length of the file if I maintain the straight direction because the end will be running into this area. LESSON learned – better to do all this before sanding the head to the desired finish (mirror in this case!). Another thing this exercise demonstrates to me – there is obvious merit in the Woodslife article’s recommendation to also include angular file directions to remove cheek metal (best seen as the yellow and blue arrows on the next two photos). Of course this now brings the clamps into play as obstacles. May need a longer piece of wood through the eye to get clamps out of the way!

I spent a few moments lightly running the file last night. It quickly became apparent that I was not obtaining the “half-moon” shaped described by USFS. Rather than blindly filing away, I decided to stop and take stock. After all, you can always remove more steel but you can’t put it back on, right? I could see the makings of the fan shape it on the Heel, but not really the Toe. I pulled out my Collins Double Bit in order to study it, since it is the same style axe head being refurbished in the USFS video. It was immediately apparent that the symmetry and contour of the cheek would indeed lend itself to the formation of the half-moon shape upon filing (see photo below). The picture is worth a thousand words, but essentially the green line represents the ridge that would form from filing due to the “low” areas on each side of the centerline from bit to poll.

Now the contours of the top face of the Council are quite different. In the photo below, the blue arrows on the heel side of the head show the “downward” slope of the cheek from my fan sharpie line. This side is forming more of the fan shape during filing which is logical based on my study of the Collins. The Toe side of the head does not slope symmetrically away from the line, like it did on the Collins. As a result, the symmetrical half-moon is not forming. Now I ask myself if it matters AND I immediately answer myself I think not! I believe the statement in the USFS video about the desired half-moon shape applies to the double bit head he was working on; and may as well for other designs just not mine. I just think it’s more of a general concept than an absolute truth. I’m going back to the effort, focusing on filing to get that bit to fit the gauge and less on trying to force the “half-moon” shape.

Please forgive me if you find these minutia or my project’s pace annoying, I don’t have the benefit of a mentor in these ways. If I had someone right there in person I’d have asked a few pointed questions at the right time and moved on with it!

#269877 - 05/13/14 08:28 PM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: kevingg]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Why not use some kind of grinder for initial metal removal, and then do the finer finish work with a hand file, followed by sanding? It seems like a bench grinder (or even an angle grinder) and a belt sander would be handy for this project.

I'm not proposing this, I am asking "why not?" I am not a machinist.

#269879 - 05/13/14 08:37 PM Re: Follow as I learn during my first axe refurb [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Why not use some kind of grinder for initial metal removal, and then do the finer finish work with a hand file, followed by sanding? It seems like a bench grinder (or even an angle grinder) and a belt sander would be handy for this project.

I don't know if I'm right, but I would be concerned that using a grinder might have a negative effect on the heat treatment. Someone more knowledgeable than myself would have to tell me that a grinder was acceptable before I would use it.

There are wet grinders that take the heat away from the workpiece, and I'd be much less reluctant to use one of them, at least if I knew what I was doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.