Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#268072 - 03/14/14 02:30 PM US Air crash--too steep to evacuate?
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was just noticing photos from the aborted take-off of a US Airways jet in Philly. The nose gear collapsed and I was noticing how high off the ground the rear door is. So high that the evacuation slide seems to be hanging at an unusually steep angle.

Does anyone know if people were evacuating down that rear slide? Seems quite dangerous to jump down such a steep slide unless those slides are made of material that actually slow you down.

I would think that engineers have already thought about this sort of situation when designing the evacuation slides. The article does not mention any significant injuries.

#268076 - 03/14/14 03:18 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: Arney]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

The picture I just saw showed them going out of the front. I
m not sure they would make those things to slow the passengers down, they need to get out fast, and I would think that slowing them would cause possible injuries and/or deaths, and resulting in lawsuits.

Not to drift this thread, (my humble apologies arney) but didn't think this story worthy of a new thread, but it is mildly interesting, to me.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/into-the-wild-hunter-fatally-shot-by-police-in-alaska

#268077 - 03/14/14 03:31 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: Arney]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Unfortunately, there are many aircraft (including the Boeing 737)that have unusable rear slides when only the nose wheel is up or collapses. This is a particular problem for the 737 Freighter (it can carry freight forward of the passengers). I assume the designers expected a wheels down or wheels up situation. If the nose wheel is up and the main gear is down, the only available exit is the overwing one, which is now on a steeply tilting wing. Makes it hard to get the little old ladies off in a hurry. Made worse when the passengers don't all speak one language. And some of them don't have a word for nosewheel in their language.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268081 - 03/14/14 04:38 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would assume that the cabin crew are trained not to open that rear door if the plane is tilting forward like that, particularly if it's a known issue on some types of equipment, as Jerry mentioned above. However, it may be very difficult for someone inside to really know how much of a tilt is too much unless you opened the door and looked out, especially in a stressful situation.

Unfortunately, I assume that opening the door to check also automatically deploys the slide whether it's safe to exit that way or not.

In a panic, I could imagine passengers making an unwise beeline for any exit that they think leads outside. Throw in some smoke or flames or the sight of a bloody passenger or two inside the cabin and I could easily see people tumbling out that back door in a panic if the door is open like that unless a crew member is blocking it and turning people back.

#268083 - 03/14/14 04:58 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: Arney]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
At least on our aircraft, the crew knew that they could not use the rear door.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268087 - 03/14/14 05:31 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: JerryFountain]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Unfortunately, there are many aircraft (including the Boeing 737)that have unusable rear slides when only the nose wheel is up or collapses.
Similarly, in a water ditching many aircraft tend to settle deeper to the rear, making the aft cabin doors unusable for excape.

If I remember correctly the FAA requires that aircrat manufacturers demonstrate that they can evacuate a plane in 90 seconds using only half of the exits. When I get on any aircraft, I make it a point to take a moment to look around and think about both a primary and a secondary exit.

#268090 - 03/14/14 06:08 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: AKSAR]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Similarly, in a water ditching many aircraft tend to settle deeper to the rear, making the aft cabin doors unusable for excape.

True. You could see that with the Airbus during the "miracle on the Hudson" water landing in NY.

Actually, I have a vague recollection that one of the rear doors was opened during that incident and shouldn't have been, causing the tail to sink even faster than it otherwise would've.

Or maybe I'm remembering the fact that the pilots did not have time to reach the part of the ditching checklist to activate the switch(es) to close all the exterior openings in preparation for a water landing.

#268353 - 03/19/14 05:12 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: Arney]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Arney, the "close outer vents" or whatever checklist item was just about the last item on the A320 ditching checklist. That was the reason for the aircraft being tail heavy in the water. In fact, the plane was filling up with water much, much quicker because the vents were not closed. Good recall.

Edited by MoBOB (03/19/14 05:12 PM)

#268363 - 03/19/14 09:49 PM Re: US Air crash--too steep to evacuate? [Re: MoBOB]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
In fact, the plane was filling up with water much, much quicker because the vents were not closed.

I was researching this some more and actually, both things happened--the ditching checklist was not finished AND one of the rear doors was partially opened, allowing water to enter the cabin.

There is conflicting testimony by the cabin crew and passengers about who actually opened the rear door. Multiple passengers had said that it was one of the flight attendants who opened the door. That same flight attendant says a panicked passenger pushed past her and started to open the door. An NTSB hearing was convened to answer a number of questions, including this one, but it seems to have been inconclusive regarding this issue.

In any case, icy cold water entering the cabin from that door made it more difficult for the passengers in the rear of the cabin to make their way forward to the overwing exits.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.