The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#265427 - 11/30/13 03:32 PM A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The drain in my kitchen sink got stopped up while my wife and mother in law were cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I spent that evening, all day Friday, and three hours Saturday morning restoring all the plumbing to a working condition.

Drains matter.

I hope you all had a better Thanksgiving than that laugh.

Also, never let anyone put aluminum foil down a garbage disposal.

#265428 - 11/30/13 05:50 PM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: chaosmagnet]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Ouch - my sympathies. Thought we had a similar holiday snafu when we woke up Wednesday to no hot water. It seems the pilot had gone out for no known reason, so crisis averted. Why is it though that things like heat and electric and plumbing go out right around major holidays...

Fwiw you might consider pulling the garbage disposal out and instead recycling or composting your food waste. Dale our friendly plumber describes garbage disposals as his kids' college fund. Many municipalities pick up for you or its easy to get started with a backyard system. When you recycle folks learn not to put stuff down drains. About the only stuff that goes down our drain these days are coffee grounds rinsed from the filter, the main part of which are also recycled. And we pour grease from pans onto the food being recycled rather than down the drain. Easier on the waste water treatment as well.

#265430 - 11/30/13 07:41 PM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: chaosmagnet]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
There was a news radio report I heard yesterday that local plumbing companies see a double digit % increase in calls the day or two after Thanksgiving. You were not alone.

#265431 - 12/01/13 12:06 AM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: chaosmagnet]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Forty years ago, when I was in high school, there was a funny story in Reader's Digest, or somesuch: some students had been told to ask their grandparents about the "best advancement in the kitchen" since they were young...one grandmother responded: "running water."
I thought that was a hoot, until I had the "opportunity" to live in a hut, and decided to put "running water" into the kitchen, by running a water line from a stream, down to the cabin, so that I'd have continuously running, COLD water. It took the better part of a week to get used to the sound...until then, the outhouse got lots of use.
We have lots to be thankful for.

#265433 - 12/01/13 03:12 AM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My beloved bride has rather firmly suggested that I make it plain to all and sundry that she, in fact, was not the one who sent the aluminum foil down the disposal.

In the last couple of days I've learned a lot about disposals and we'll be sending a lot less down it than we have in the past.

#265436 - 12/01/13 08:13 AM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I loathe garbage disposals- more trouble than they're worth. As you discovered, a jammed disposal is a lot bigger deal than a regular clogged sink.

#265439 - 12/01/13 12:07 PM Re: A lesson in appreciation of modern plumbing [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I loathe garbage disposals- more trouble than they're worth. As you discovered, a jammed disposal is a lot bigger deal than a regular clogged sink.

It would have been more expensive but less time consuming if the problem had been in the disposal. No, the clog was at the end of a 25' snake.

It looked like this:

1) disassemble P-trap
2) send snake down drain pipe, maneuvering snake tortuously through several bends
3) find clog and work snake
4) withdraw snake and remove nasty stuff from auger
5) return to step (2) until can't pull more clog out, typically three repetitions
6) reassemble p-trap
7) send water down drain and wait for disposal and sink to fill
8) observe and discuss with daughter how fast or slow the water drains
9) return to step (1) -- probably a total of 25 times altogether

Add to that misidentifying the drain pipe downstream, cutting the misidentified pipe, rodding the misidentified pipe, and sweating on a $30(!) tee to make a cleanout where one was not needed. Not to mention repaying a gigantic favor to my friend who did the cutting and the sweating.

Looking on the bright side, that cleanout may come in handy one day. I now know for sure where all the pipes are in my house. I learned enough about sweating copper pipe that I could do it myself next time, I think. Middle Daughter volunteered a lot of her time to hang out with me and learn about plumbing. The friend who helped me is getting a free pistol class with me. And, of course, from now on when we go around the table at Thanksgiving to talk about what we're thankful for, I will always have something at too of mind to say.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.