The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#261111 - 06/04/13 01:35 AM 10 essentials prep by NH hikers
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Appalachian Mountain Club reports spotty compliance with 10 essential wisdom here.

I have limited experience in NH, but the White Mountains seem much more challenging than the Greens or Adirondacks. I guess the doomsday prepper/zombie apocalypse/ survival TV initiatives have not performed well in educating the young folks.

#261112 - 06/04/13 04:26 AM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think you would get similar results out here in the far West. The results might also vary with the type of trips taken from the trail head - those giving access to longer trips might find users more fully equipped.

Actually, 20% more or less fully equipped isn't too bad. I have seen victims miles back along a trail with absolutely nothing.

#261123 - 06/04/13 04:27 PM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: nursemike]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One thing that i find helps is keeping a day pack packed with equipment -- just add water.

Teacher

Aslo, classes help...

#261125 - 06/04/13 04:37 PM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
oddly the least important (extra food) seems to be the most commonly carried item.

personally, I have never been completely sold on the ten best type lists.

Bob

#261126 - 06/04/13 05:54 PM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: ILBob]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: ILBob
personally, I have never been completely sold on the ten best type lists.

Bob,

Although I agree with you on "BEST" lists, the 10 essentials (especially in the latest, groupings instead of items version) is the distillation of many years of group thought. Although you may not agree with all the choices specifically, as a whole, the availability of these ten AND the knowledge of how to use them, they will see you through the night. They are IMHO also an excellent marker of the preparedness of a hiker and the attitude they carry with them. Particularly if you count them with some acceptance of differences in approach, which this study did.

What I think they were looking for was an indication of the approach of the "average" hiker toward preparedness, not the presence or absence of any specific item. I agree with you food is the least important.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (06/04/13 05:55 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#261129 - 06/04/13 06:48 PM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree that food is the least important physiologically, at least. Psychologically, in terms of an individual's comfort level, food is pretty important.At least, I don't believe I have ever found a victim who did not accept food gratefully, no matter what length of time they had been out. There is probably a social aspect as well - "the breaking of bread together" thing.

It is most important to emphasize that one needs the knowledge, as well as the gadgets - good point.

#261146 - 06/06/13 12:25 AM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

On the way up mount marcy, in the adirondacks, a forest ranger used to hang out to quiz hikers on the trail on their preps for the trip. Marcy can change from sunny 80's to rainy 40's any month of the year. rangers are friendly folk, but impressive, and the ranger was usually successful in preventing summit attempts by the guys in t-shirts and flip-flops. Maybe the state should sell or rent rucks with the essentials for the trip up, and discount the rescue service charges for purchasers.

#261148 - 06/06/13 01:56 AM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would agree that food is the least important physiologically, at least. .....

In cold weather, when hypothermia is an issue, I would argue that food can be rather important. Sugar and other simple carbs are best for a quick warm up.

#261156 - 06/06/13 11:48 AM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: AKSAR]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

have a hunch that the reason that food was carried more commonly than other essentials was that a sixpack of beer and a bag of cheetoes counts as 'food'.

#261161 - 06/06/13 03:51 PM Re: 10 essentials prep by NH hikers [Re: AKSAR]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would agree that food is the least important physiologically, at least. .....

In cold weather, when hypothermia is an issue, I would argue that food can be rather important. Sugar and other simple carbs are best for a quick warm up.

+1 on food being an important part of the hypothermia arsenal. Also, a great way to stay warm on a cold night, is to eat a carb + fat snack or small meal before bed and stoke the internal furnace.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 448 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.