www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Blake

#261699 - 07/09/13 07:11 PM Re: Garmin Heads Up Display [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
First they say:
Quote:
Smartphones have pretty much taken over as the default navigation tool for many drivers. However, some locales (including our home state of California) have outright banned smartphone use in the car: no windshield mounts, no dashboard cradles. So, how are you going to get your turn-by-turn directions when looking at your phone is illegal?

Then they say:
Quote:
What's your phone got to do with this? HUD's data is provided by one of Garmin's navigation apps -- either Navigon or StreetPilot -- on an Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone 8 smartphone.

So you still have to own (and use) your separate smartphone to power this new gadget. So what problem is it that they claim to have solved? If you can't use your smartphone per state law, what good is a projector hooked to your smartphone?

It's a cool high tech gadget. However, I predict a gadget of limited useability, usefullness, and need. But most of the electronic junk we buy these days is unneeded and not very useful anyway, so I guess this is no different. It's kind of an "electronic jewelry". No real need for it, other than the "please notice me in the crowd" bling-bling effect.

#261702 - 07/09/13 08:49 PM Re: Garmin Heads Up Display [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I have a Blackberry phone (I can't remember if it's a Curve or Style model) which folds in half to carry in my pocket. I find the phone can be opened halfway (L shape) and rested in the dash of my car (Honda CRV) where it rests against the button I press to reset my trip odometer. if I look at the gps on the phone, I'm looking at my dash with the speedometer and tachometer. If I get pulled over it's no problem to fold the phone and put it in my shirt pocket.

#261706 - 07/09/13 09:46 PM Re: Garmin Heads Up Display [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have my phone on a vent-mounted cradle, which I believe to be legal in all 50 states when used in a hands-free mode as a phone or GPS.

#261709 - 07/09/13 10:10 PM Re: Garmin Heads Up Display [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As I understand it, as long as you're hands-free, you're good to go. I do not text ever so that's not an issue. I answer the cell when driving but that's done with a push of the button on the Plantronics earpiece. I throw the iPhone onto the passenger seat where it stays when I'm driving.

As for this heads up display, other than putting the information on your windshield, it's not much different than the Garmin Nuvi I use all the time; the difference being it uses a cellphone for nav input rather than the Nuvi's dedicated GPS receiver and the Nuvi has a lot more information on the display.

I'm thinking I'd rather have a dedicated GPS and keep my iPhone for taking calls.

#261725 - 07/10/13 08:24 AM Re: Garmin Heads Up Display [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I prefer to text vs call for most things unless it's unavoidable. I actually like to avoid using my phone at all if I can! But I absolutely don't use it when I drive.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.