Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#260582 - 05/16/13 02:54 AM Knife law in southern California?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'll be visiting the LA area. I'll be in the city and outside of the city as well, and I'll also visit some of the towns nearby. I've checked the internet for advice on knife carry in CA, though not very thoroughly. It seems that I need a 3" or shorter blade, and I need to have it completely concealed (no clip showing). Is that correct?

I feel like I need to check with some of our California residents, because I recall the news story about someone going to jail for carrying on his person some sort of pointy thing while hiking, which is apparently a crime. (On the other hand, if he had it in his bag, he would have been fine.) So if I go hiking, should I make sure to have a bag with me, and to put the knife in the bag?

Thanks.

#260587 - 05/16/13 05:11 AM Re: Knife law in southern California? [Re: Bingley]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I don't carry and I'm not a lawyer, but for what it's worth, according to the LA County and LA City ordinances, open carry is only prohibited for knives with blades over 3 inches. So, it's not explicitly stated, but it would seem that you could carry a sub 3 inch knife with or without the clip showing. Or, using similar logic, a 3+ inch folder, concealed.

It's been about a year since I moved from Southern to Northern Cal and I can't recall the last time I noticed seeing a knife clipped to someone's pocket there. So it might be prudent to carry without the clip showing, to blend in with everyone else, if you're feeling a little paranoid about it.

And under California, there's no blade length restriction for carrying a closed folding knife, concealed.

Here's a forum thread on LA knife laws.

Have a good trip!

#260616 - 05/17/13 12:12 AM Re: Knife law in southern California? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'll be visiting the LA area. I'll be in the city and outside of the city as well, and I'll also visit some of the towns nearby. I've checked the internet for advice on knife carry in CA, though not very thoroughly. It seems that I need a 3" or shorter blade, and I need to have it completely concealed (no clip showing). Is that correct?

That's my understanding for L.A. county. However, please remember you can only conceal folding knives. A switch blade, spring opener, etc., are not permitted to be carried at all in public or in your car. A fixed blade can be carried openly, but I would not recommend the invitation for hassling from the cops.

As you seem to be aware, L.A. county and other local jurisdictions have ordinances that conflict with state laws. It's not simple at all, but your plan of action works for all California jurisdictions as far as I know.

#260619 - 05/17/13 12:57 AM Re: Knife law in southern California? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Alright! I guess I am now compelled to buy a new knife. Oh, woe is me! Please follow me to another thread to offer me recommendations!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.