The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260048 - 04/29/13 11:39 AM Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
hey guys! I picked up a block of Mainstay bars at the surplus store on the weekend. I've always wanted to try them and find out if it's something our family will like. (I don't stock up on food for the panty unless I know it's something we're going to eat.)

My question is - how long do they last once they're open? Are they individually wrapped inside the big block? Can I just reseal them n a zip lock bag?

Teach me, oh Wise Ones!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260056 - 04/29/13 01:18 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

My question is - how long do they last once they're open? Are they individually wrapped inside the big block? Can I just reseal them n a zip lock bag?

Mainstay ration bars are not individual wrapped but I think that the Daytrex ones are.

These rations once opened and then re-stored in a air tight contained such as biscuit tin should last 1-2 years.

These ration bars are really just empty calories and lack the nutrients for long term health. They are also expensive to purchase for what they are.

They typically cost around £5-6 excluding shipping in the UK.
They are acceptable with regard to taste but do not compare to something like All Butter Shortbread such as McAlisters
shortbread fingers I can purchase for £0.39 per 150grams or £1.95 for 750grams for 3900 Kcal.

I then just vacuum seal 5 x 150 gram pkts then place in a sealed mylar bag with an oxygen absorber.

Maineprepper wasn't impressed with the Mainstay rations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJyUyxeoeM4

#260058 - 04/29/13 01:56 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Liath. I've read mixed reviews on them but figured I'd give them a try. I don't like shortcake, but the rest of the family does. I think I paid $7 for it, which does seem high, unless the shelf life or nutritional value is better. Wasn't sure about keeping them after they-re opened, but I guess they're either going to be a hit or not, so I really don't need to worry about storage after it's open. It's either going to be eaten or composted.

#260061 - 04/29/13 03:43 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
They are inedible and inert to begin with, so their shelf life should last into the next century and still be safe. Lemony flavored cardboard I say. And try to have more water on hand than your ration may allow too. Its a slow gnaw without something to wash it down.

Last summer I tried making bread by grinding up a Datrex and using it as 1/3 of the flour in a loaf of baked wheat bread. It made a lemony lumpish loaf that didn't quite rise enough. With some trial and error I might get the proportions right to make lemon cake. The intent was probably pretty close to what folks have done in times of no food, when they add sawdust to a bit or remaining flour. When I'm bored enough to try again I might chip off some more from the Datrex block and try again.

#260068 - 04/29/13 08:07 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well... that answers that. LOL! I detest shortbread to begin with, and comparing Mainstay bars to it is the nicest thing anyone has said about Mainstay. I don't even want to try them now. LOL! (Exactly why I only ever buy one of something if we're trying it for the first time.)

We're always on the hunt for snacks to bulk up our underweight kid, and he loves anything even remotely related to the military, so hopefully it won't be $7 down the drain. He mowed down a power bar from a US MRE on the weekend, and even though it was chocolate, it barely got a passing grade. I think the exact quote was "Meh."

#260069 - 04/29/13 08:13 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Have you tried the Datrex bars? They're really tasty IMO.

#260070 - 04/29/13 08:28 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Every once in a while some of my energy bars go into hiding, not to emerge until well after their "sell by" dates, sometimes by five to ten years. They have all tasted at least fairly good, and have caused no problems. After all, I am here to relate this. Specific brands have been Tanka (buffalo jerky) and Clif (undifferentiated chemical compounds). I think the mylar wrapping has a good deal to do with these products remaining edible. I would suspect that most of the many other items packaged in the same manner would survive equally long.

As I understand the situation, "sell by"or "best by" dates do not relate to nutrition or nutritional value, but only to taste.

#260073 - 04/29/13 09:45 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Haven't got any Daytrex retailers around here, and these Mainstays are only making their first appearance too, which is why I took the chance of buying one.

We're big fans of Cliff bars here! Chocolate chip and Peanut Butter Crunch are our favorites.

#260074 - 04/29/13 10:25 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't care for Datrex bars. Mainstay bars are fairly popular in the chaosmagnet family and I keep a small stash in each BOB. ER Bars aren't too bad but we liked Mainstay much better.

#260075 - 04/29/13 10:37 PM Re: Mainstay/Daytrex Bars Shelf Life [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Living proof that everyone's taste buds are different!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.