The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258125 - 03/27/13 06:14 AM Storing batteries in electronics
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
When storing batteries in emergency electronics, like flashlights, be sure to periodically inspect them for leaks, rust, and corrosion.

Now, does anybody know how to get corrosion welded batteries out of a 2D Maglite incandescent!?! I swapped out the original xenon bulb for a 1 watt LED, and it's been running off the same set of batteries for over 2 years.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#258126 - 03/27/13 06:28 AM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
You may have to get the batteries out in pieces. I'd use vinegar and the right size applicator after that. For something that uses AAA or AA, I'd use a Q-tip. It'll take some experimentation for D batteries. You should see it foam up like hydrogen peroxide. It's neutralized when it doesn't foam anymore. Depending on where it is (i.e. on the tail cap end of a Mag-lite), I'd follow that with a water rinse.

#258129 - 03/27/13 07:37 AM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My sympathies. I too have had the dubious pleasure of removing corroded alkaline (AAs) from both Maglite and Streamlight flashlights.

The cells swell up and bond/weld to the metal. That makes them very challenging to remove. After many experiments, I ended up using a cordless drill to drive a long deck screw (wood screw) through the battery. Or maybe it was two screws. Anyway, that gave me a solid anchor to grab hold of with big Vise-Grips. Next time, I would be tempted to grab the screw ends in a bench vise and pull on the flashlight body, which is easier.

I tried the vinegar thing after (strong 7% pickling variety) but it did essentially nothing. I ended up using a variety of steel scrapers to physically chip the crud out.

Good luck.

#258135 - 03/27/13 11:38 AM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is the primary reason I have abandoned alkaline batteries. In the long run, they are more expensive than Eneloop rechargeables, not even counting the cost of whatever equipment they have ruined.

Edited by hikermor (03/27/13 11:26 PM)

#258163 - 03/27/13 05:57 PM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For a Maglight, just send it to them. They have an agreement in place with the major battery manufacturers and will repair/replace the light under the battery makers warranty.

Keep in mind too that pre-eneloop I have had RayoVac and Radio Shack and one off brand NiMH rechargeable leak so just replacing alkaline with rechargeable you are not immune.

#258169 - 03/27/13 06:45 PM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In my experience, alkaline meltdowns are much more severe in metal-barreled lights. I suspect that after the leak begins, the conductive barrel becomes part of the discharge path and the cells overheat and discharge much more deeply than in plastic. Basically a runaway short circuit / chemical reaction. Hence the "welding effect" that seems to occur.

#258180 - 03/27/13 07:47 PM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
The spring has to touch. It completes the circuit, I believe. I may be wrong.

#258185 - 03/27/13 08:01 PM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Doug, I think you're right about the metal barrel. Even with the tail cap removed, there was enough voltage to get the LED to glow. That isn't saying much as the LED will work with batteries that would have been considered dead in an incandescent flashlight. Also, neither of the other 2 house flashlights had corrosion and they're plastic with older batteries.

I had to deal with this problem before. My Wife's MiniMag's batteries corroded in place. I solved it by pulling the switch assy out of the lamp end and hitting the batteries with 1/4 drill stock until they came loose. I had to Dremel the residue out the barrel before I could get new batteries in.

If I can get the batteries out, I'll put in a waxpaper lining to prevent a reoccurrance. If I can't, the next light will be polymer.

Unfortunately, Maglite does not cover battery leakage:
http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=1AAA
Second paragraph down. Unfortunaley, the shipping costs to the battery manufacturer are the same as the replacement costs.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#258206 - 03/28/13 01:47 AM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Unfortunately, Maglite does not cover battery leakage:
http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=1AAA
Second paragraph down. Unfortunaley, the shipping costs to the battery manufacturer are the same as the replacement costs.

Seems to be a different on the Solitaire then, I read about them handling leakage on CPF so I dug my 3 AA out of a drawer and sent it in and got it back repaired a few weeks later at no charge.

Technically they don't warranty the work, they contact energizer or duracell or whomever and they cover it from what the threads on CPF say.

#258211 - 03/28/13 06:24 AM Re: Storing batteries in electronics [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Lithium batts for the win

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.