Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258047 - 03/26/13 02:52 AM The thing that clips two gloves together?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I have a pair of gloves, and they originally come with a little D ring and a "clip" that keeps them together when they're not being worn. The "clip" broke and I'm looking for something that does the same job.

I'm putting quotes around "clip" because I don't know what to call it. Searching around on the internet didn't manage to bring up the item I have in mind. I looked into using a carabiner, because that would work, but I can't find anything small enough and light enough. (The clip will remain on one glove when you're wearing the pair, so you can't have a big thing dangling about.) But you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Alright, so this is not really about survival, but you guys know so much about equipment that I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

#258049 - 03/26/13 03:08 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
You might try one of the smallest S-biners from Nite-Ize. Remove the old clip & thread it through the remaining loop.

If it's the loop that broke, they used to make short sections of elastic with clips like suspenders to attach gloves to sleeve cuffs.

#258053 - 03/26/13 03:33 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I was looking at the Nite-Ize, but even size 0 seems a bit on the big side.

The D rings are OK. It's the clip that's lost, presumably because it broke.

#258054 - 03/26/13 03:48 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nite Ize Sbp0-2pk-01 S-biner

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/26/13 03:50 AM)

#258057 - 03/26/13 03:55 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
That looks like it would work. Great pic!!

#258074 - 03/26/13 11:07 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: MoBOB]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Old safety officer chiming in here. I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

This comment is worth every dime you paid for it......

#258079 - 03/26/13 12:59 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: hikermor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

1+

you didn't mention the type of gloves you are trying to connect.

for my leather work gloves, what works for me is a paper-punched hole in each glove which are then held together with a small carabiner that is attached to my pack.

one biner in front for ready use and one in back for long-term storage.

ymmv.

#258087 - 03/26/13 03:46 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Old safety officer chiming in here. I wonder how good it is to have any kind of a clip, or even rings, attached to gloves you would be wearing. They could catch on objects and potentially cause problems. Would depend on the environment in which they are used.

This comment is worth every dime you paid for it......

Most of the clips little clips, rings etc I've seen on gloves and mittens probably wouldn't be much of a safety hazard, since they are so flimsy they would rip off before endangering you. Also, one must consider the chance of catching the glove on something against the risk of loosing a glove or mitten when you really need it.

#258089 - 03/26/13 03:50 PM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: AKSAR]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
http://nationalwebbing.com/products/SNHK21-Black-Plastic-Glove-Hook.html

I use these doubled and opposed to connect key rings, to attach a whistle to my pack
straps, attach a flashlight under my tarp, etc. They give way without breaking
at a low poundage, so use with that in mind.

If you want to PM me and send a self addressed envelope, I'll send you a few.

Edited by clearwater (03/26/13 08:45 PM)

#258127 - 03/27/13 06:39 AM Re: The thing that clips two gloves together? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, clearwater, for the generous offer. People like you are a credit to this forum! What's more, you've managed to find the right term -- so these things are called glove hooks!? Hunh. Excellent!

I think to use the item in the link, I'd have to run something through the ring to attach the hook to one glove, and that may require either restitching or breaking the plastic D-ring to replace it with a metal ring that could be bent open and closed.

I ended up getting this, which looks very close to the hook that broke. The measurements also seem to be the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-O-Ring-Glove...=item8019f9c931

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions! What a great resource ETS is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.