Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#255898 - 01/27/13 06:20 PM It doesn't have to boil
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have been experimenting with my esbit stove ( maybe not geniouine esbit, but anyways). I made some Cup-A-Soup. and some coffee. I tested one tab of fuel, 2 tabs, and then 3 tabs all together.

I noticed that 3 tabs was overkill . The flame was like ( too much fuel and little oxygen). It made my pot blackish. Two brought the pot to a rolling boil, and one tab didn't. However, I wondered : why do we need water to boil. In any case we will have to wauit for it to cool a bit before drinking it. So, I am planning to use one tab only even if water won't boil completely. It only needs to boil if you are sterilizing water or cooking something. IN other cases, you need temp to go up and hover below boiling for a few minutes.

My soup was a mix of lentil soup , French onion, vegetable, and mushroom. About one spoon each , then added water, stirred, and covered for 10-15 minutes. It was tasty and rich enough for a lunch.

The next time I am only using one tab of fuel.

About coal briquettes in the esbit stove, well, their heat was minimal and only useful to keep water from cooling down. I am thinking to ditch the coal briquettes and carry more esbit tabs next time.

My problem is ... I only have a finite stock of these tabs. That is why I tried to stretch them with coal briquettes in the first place. However, the good news is that I had some real old fuel tabs (became yellowish) but they still burnt cleanly. This means they can be stored for many years ( in our HOT environment). This is encouraging.

#255903 - 01/27/13 08:13 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
True, it doesn't have to boil but how else will you make that nice cup of tea (without which civilization as we know it would be impossible)?

Actually, milk is pasteurized by heating to 165F (and held for five minutes or so, I believe). Checking instructions for cooking our holiday turkey, we were told to see that the meat thermometer read 165 F to insure that all the Bad Guys were knocked off. I think I see a trend developing here...

Anyway, if we were out in the woods and couldn't bring the water to a rolling boil, I would get it as hot as possible, perhaps let it sit a bit, and drink up. Dehydration is deadly and giardia isn't.

i once had to boil water from a mountain stream on a hot day when I definitely didn't want tea. I boiled the water, put it in my water bottle, placed the water bottle in the nice babbling brook, and set the next batch to boiling. By the time batch #2 was ready (about 4 minutes), batch #1 was sufficiently cool. I hopped on my bike. Proceeding about a mile, I came upon a clean water source.....

#255905 - 01/27/13 09:03 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
True, it doesn't have to boil but how else will you make that nice cup of tea (without which civilization as we know it would be impossible)?

Tea??? I think you mean coffee. Coffee is a survival essential, at least for some of us. Without coffee we would be faced with TEOTWAKI
smile

#255907 - 01/27/13 10:51 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: AKSAR]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
You can't drink boiling water anyway so heating it to boiling to make tea or coffee seems like a little overkill.

Bob

#255908 - 01/28/13 12:28 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Actually, milk is pasteurized by heating to 165F (and held for five minutes or so, I believe).

But that temperature is held for a longer period of time is it not?

#255910 - 01/28/13 12:40 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: hikermor]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
...placed the water bottle in the nice babbling brook, and set the next batch to boiling.

I hope you didn't let the neck of the bottle get wet from the babbling brook.

#255913 - 01/28/13 02:13 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not to derail the thread to something else but ...

Quote:
I boiled the water, put it in my water bottle, placed the water bottle in the nice babbling brook

Off course, hikermor was not in a survival situation, and needed water to cool quickly, but imagine if someone was cold and wet.

A guy did the same in a survival show or video where the scenario is that he has been wet and cold. I immediately thought that the situation dictates he should utilize every ounce of heat and not waste it away. He should have hugged that hot bottle and absorbed the excess heat in his body or wet clothes instead of wasting it in the running stream..

In another video, the guy starts the esbit stove by a match, then he blows the match and tosses it aside. Although the heat in the remaining match isn't much, but we should re-program ourselves to conserve every BTU or calorie in a survival situation, so he should have tossed the match INTO the esbit stove.

#255914 - 01/28/13 02:27 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju4AOVV1cA

At 8:20, the guy puts his bottle in the stream.

But I like what he did at 10:30.
He positioned his wet clothes around the fire so that most of the heat ( in any direction ) is utilized in drying his clothes.

#255921 - 01/28/13 04:41 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I mentioned the "babbling brook episode" because one of the complaints about boiling water is the length of time it takes for the water to cool down. Much more typically I have been in cooler to very cold situations where the hot water is transformed to tea (or coffee, if you prefer) and consumed promptly, the better to warm the Inner Man. Actually, I was once in a situation where we had a thermos of hot water and somehow no tea bags, not even coffee grounds. So we drank hot water straight. On a cool, breezy day, it was surprisingly good, and we utilized the heat it contained.

I suspect that in most remote backcountry situations where you are in the upper reaches of a drainage, the water is pretty much OK without any treatment. I much prefer to do something to be sure the water doesn't contain any nasties, but I have imbibed plenty of raw water, a few from rather dubious sources and as far as I know, I have never been sick

#255926 - 01/28/13 10:04 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have a friend at work who was told by doctors to reduce his intake of tea and coffee. He joins us sometimes and takes hot water only. I tried it once or twice and it was OK.

When I look at the process of boiling water and then waiting for it to cool down, I see it as a energey wasting habit like some drivers who see red light, keep their foot on the gas, and then when they reach the traffic light, only then they press the brakes. Very wasteful way of driving. I usually coast a bit before reaching the light . Simialrly when I - occasionally - iron my own clothes , I unplug the iron from the outlet one or two minutes before finishing and utilize the remaining heat in the iron for the last touches.

I hate to waste material and energy, and believe we should develop habits of conservation , which can be useful in bad times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 396 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.