Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#251997 - 10/21/12 12:18 PM LED Lanterns
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
During a moment of introspection while 'organizing' my camping gear, I realized that I am a lantern junkie. I have D cell and AA cell battery in both standard bulb and LED, candle, kerosene, propane, and white gas lanterns tucked everywhere.

My current favorite for truck camping and home emergency is the Rayovac 3-D cell 240 lumen LED Sportsman. I recently used it while performing one of my favorite home owner tasks: replacing the faucet on my kitchen sink. The Rayovac lantern has a feature where the diffuser can be easily removed, leaving the base with a hard ping-pong ball sized dome containing the LED. This is perfect for emergency room lighting or fixing a faucet, and the lantern is still sealed against the weather (or squirting faucet connections).

I also have the 3-AA 85 lumen version for the pack. Its run time is triple that of my little Coleman backpack light with 3 vs 4 AA's and a higher light output.

These both are of a well-designed robust build, virtually artifact-free, and boast excellent run times VS similar sized LED or filament models. No affiliation.

I found this website that has an interesting comparison of the light output of several different LED lanterns.

https://www.getpreparedstuff.com/kb_results.asp?ID=3

Attachments
Rayovac Sportsman.jpg

#251998 - 10/21/12 12:24 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
LED Offline
Veteran

You may want to pick up some "AA to D" adapters. That way you can use AA lithium, rechargeable, or alkaline batteries in your D cell lanternse and flashlights. I use the eneloop AA to D adapters but any brand would work.

#251999 - 10/21/12 12:32 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: LED]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

I'm no battery expert, but recently did actually buy a dozen new version AA Eneloops and a wall mount charger. I found that even fully charged, they will not work in my 1-AA LED light, or in my 4 AA Remington LED headlamps. A friend tells me the voltage is too low for LED use.

#252001 - 10/21/12 01:58 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Coleman High Tech 3AA LED Lantern running on Sanyo Eneloops... well built and compact... variable light

Edited by LesSnyder (10/21/12 02:00 PM)

#252006 - 10/21/12 03:06 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I'm no battery expert, but recently did actually buy a dozen new version AA Eneloops and a wall mount charger. I found that even fully charged, they will not work in my 1-AA LED light, or in my 4 AA Remington LED headlamps. A friend tells me the voltage is too low for LED use.

Huh? I routinely use AA Eneloops in several single AA lights, as well as several headlamps and other battery powered gadgets - GPS, etc. They are perfectly satisfactory. Perhaps your charger is not working?

#252009 - 10/21/12 03:48 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Eneloops hot off the charger have a lower initial voltage than new alkalines, but they have a much flatter discharge curve. The voltage difference is magnified by how many cells your device uses. It's still very unusual to find devices they won't work in.

#252019 - 10/21/12 06:57 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Odd. LED's are usually known for getting every last milliamp hour of power out of a battery.

#252022 - 10/21/12 07:45 PM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

Ni-mh rechargeable AAs have a voltage around 1.3-1.4 fully charged. Alkalines have a voltage of about 1.5. BUT once you start to suck energy out of the batteries the nimh will drop to about 1.2 and STAY THERE untill there's hardly any energy left. Alkalines will drop somewhat more steady if your light doesn't put too much demand on the battery.

Almost dead alkalines will still measure somewhere close to 1.5 volts when left alone - but the voltage of a semi-depleted alkaline drops QUICKLY when you start to use the battery. This is why ligths with depleted alcalines can seem to work fine when you lit them up but turn dead pretty quick when you start using them.

If your light doesnt work with eneloops but works with alkaline I'd say it only would work with FRESH out of the box alkalines, and that you probably have tossed away a good number of halfway used alkalines...

#252031 - 10/22/12 01:02 AM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

If your light doesnt work with eneloops but works with alkaline I'd say it only would work with FRESH out of the box alkalines, and that you probably have tossed away a good number of halfway used alkalines... [/quote]

You might be on to something. I took 4 new (fully charged by me) eneloops from a different package and they worked fine in both lanterns; one a 3 cell LED, the other a filament bulb 4 cell lantern and also in the 4 cell LED headlamp. One eneloop would not light the single cell LED light though. I took the alkalines out of the small 3 cell LED lantern and tried each in the single cell LED, and they did not work either. I put the alkalines back in the 3 cell LED and they worked fine.

#252033 - 10/22/12 01:24 AM Re: LED Lanterns [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I like dissa

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/energizer-led-red-folding-lantern-fl452wrh.html#.UISeG4bLFlN

20$ Easy to obtain uses 4D cells and lasts forevers on them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.