Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#250017 - 08/20/12 12:35 AM has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

has anyone used wigman sleeping bag ?

does it keep user warm in autumn season /

#250019 - 08/20/12 02:40 AM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: picard120]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Do you mean Wiggy's? I have never heard of wigman and a google search did not turn anything up. I have a Wiggy's bag and it is very good, durable and, while not the lightest, is advertised to keep you warm even when wet. I have never tested this, but I do have one of their poncho liners and have used it wet and it worked well. Same insulation.

#250028 - 08/20/12 07:46 AM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: gonewiththewind]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Do you mean Wiggy's? I have never heard of wigman and a google search did not turn anything up. I have a Wiggy's bag and it is very good, durable and, while not the lightest, is advertised to keep you warm even when wet. I have never tested this, but I do have one of their poncho liners and have used it wet and it worked well. Same insulation.

hehe. I misspelled the wiggy term. I am getting old.

#250030 - 08/20/12 10:33 AM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: picard120]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Doug recommends them on the gear advice; linked to from this sites home page.
From what I've read you can get into one with wet clothes and wake up the next morning with the clothes and bag dry.
They are also the only bags that can be compressed without performance loss. The Alaskan national guard actually pack them shrink wrapped in their survival kits. You'll lose 60% of the insulation in 6 months if you do that to a down bag.
qjs

#250031 - 08/20/12 12:07 PM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: picard120]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have four Wiggy's bags and I probably will never buy another brand. They indeed keep you warm when wet; if you crawl into one wet you will indeed be dry by morning; and they do seem to exceed their temp ratings (NOTE: I'm a "warm sleeper".)

Construction is first rate and the single instance I had an issue customer service was all over it.

Standard disclaimers- I'm just a very satisfied buyer with no affiliation beyond that. I will also disclose that a letter I wrote to the company praising the products now appears in the testimonials page.

#250034 - 08/20/12 01:00 PM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
To expand this thread a bit....

From the concern over getting a bag wet, one would think wet sleeping bags are a common occurrence. Well, they are not.

If you are the least bit careful with your down bag, it will stay nice and dry through many a stormy night. I have been using down bags for more than fifty years, and I have wetted my bag exactly once, by choosing to pitch my tarp in a depressed area. The bag wetted after a night time shower. We were back home the next night, so I dried it there. I could have had it dry by nightfall, if required.

I hear of a process which renders down significantly more water resistant just now coming onto the market. No experience with it.

#250044 - 08/20/12 03:27 PM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
From the concern over getting a bag wet, one would think wet sleeping bags are a common occurrence. Well, they are not.

If you are the least bit careful with your down bag, it will stay nice and dry through many a stormy night. I have been using down bags for more than fifty years, and I have wetted my bag exactly once, by choosing to pitch my tarp in a depressed area. The bag wetted after a night time shower. We were back home the next night, so I dried it there. I could have had it dry by nightfall, if required.

hikermor,

I am going to push back ever so slightly on this. I agree that with carefull use, the risk of getting a bag wet is not as great as people might think. However, I think that is somewhat dependent on the sort of climate one is out in. Much of my camping experience has been in the Pacific NW and Alaska. In these places it can rain hard and steady for days on end. In a small backpack type tent, one almost inevitably brings a small amount of water in every time you enter or leave the tent. Over time, gear gets damper and damper. I've found it isn't so much the one time soaking that gets you as it is the slow, day to day getting damper and damper issue that gets you. I've become quite fond of synthetic bags in those conditions.

#250060 - 08/20/12 10:06 PM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good point. I am a creature of the arid west, although it can get pretty damp out here on occasion. The distinction is that we don't get wet weather for the extended periods you experience and we can count on sunny periods for air drying our stuff.

Thinking about my "Denali summer," some years ago, the NPS provided our team with very warm synthetic bags - they worked just fine at altitude in the coldest conditions I have ever experienced. What is it they say - "There is not such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

Overall, I remain a fan of down bags for the unparralled combination of light weight, warmth, and compresibility. I imagine, however, we will see the equivalent synthetic product before long - or else we will genetically engineer geese to extrude DWR down.......

#250093 - 08/21/12 02:44 PM Re: has anyone used wigmam sleeping bag? [Re: picard120]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Living in North Carolina, where winters can be very wet at times, I tend toward synthetic bags. As a Scout Master, I tend to guide the parents away from down bags for the kids. I have had a lot of wet bags, especially with the kids. In a good synthetic bag, some of the kids will not even wake up if they get wet, only when they get cold. I have down and synthetic myself, and take what I need for the environment. Down is fantastic if taken care of properly.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.