Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#235652 - 11/15/11 10:10 AM What do you think of the Bongo alcohol stove ???
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I think it is too complex. I mean it has too many parts , and some parts may wear out and need replacement.

Compare that with homemade alcohol stoves and you can really see the difference.

Am I missing something that is unique and great about this stove ??

#235655 - 11/15/11 01:37 PM Re: What do you think of the Bongo alcohol stove ??? [Re: Chisel]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
I agree. Tinny does great work and I'm sure this is one of the many ways to bring in more cash. You have to admit though, he has come up with quite a few apparatus for boiling water and apparently he's making good money. Plus, he has all kinds of accessories to match his stoves or any stove for that matter.

#235664 - 11/15/11 07:01 PM Re: What do you think of the Bongo alcohol stove ??? [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I have one of Tinny's stoves (the Atomic), and I've seen others. He definitely does good work.

As for this one, I'd like to see it in operation. It does look a little fiddly, but a) it might be highly efficient and b) there is some advantage in being able to add more fuel as needed while the stove is running. With some stoves, if you don't put in enough fuel, you have to wait until the stove cools before adding more fuel. Generally, adding fuel to a hot stove is a really bad idea. eek (there are ways to do it with alcohol, but you'd better know what you're doing. NEVER do it with gasoline.)

I don't know this for a fact, but one may also be able to suction out fuel as well as add fuel. It's hard to get fuel out of most alcohol stoves if you've accidentally added too much. Recall that Tinny's primary audience is the ultralight hiker. Ultralighters do not like to waste fuel. The ability to recover fuel could be a big plus with that crowd.

I'd like to see a video of the stove in operation. I'd also like to hear Tinny's pitch on this one.

HJ

#235683 - 11/15/11 11:28 PM Re: What do you think of the Bongo alcohol stove ??? [Re: Chisel]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
From what I understand the Bongo is designed for more of a slow cook/simmer. He makes reference to cooking goose liver pate with white sauce while out on the trail. I may be wrong, but I think that most people on the trail are going for quick beverages/meals. I think I'll stick to the pressurized variety, but still a neat job on all his stoves.

#235704 - 11/16/11 05:19 AM Re: What do you think of the Bongo alcohol stove ??? [Re: 6pac]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Here's a video on the Bongo from Tinny, the owner of Mini Bull Designs, the maker of the Bongo.

Looks like a decent stove. He says you get a 10 minute burn on 1/2 fl. oz. of alcohol. That's pretty dang good if true.

The one thing that might be bad is how do you regulate how much fuel you're using? With an open cup style of burner, like a Trangia for example, you can use a little measuring cup to mete out your fuel. With the Bongo, how do you know how much fuel you're using? It doesn't look like you can reclaim fuel from the burner once dispensed.

Doesn't look like the stove for me, although I salute the wonderfully inventive Tinny.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.