Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Was that an Oprah's Book Club pick?

#232325 - 09/16/11 09:59 PM Re: Year in the Wilderness Hoax [Re: paramedicpete]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the best of these is a guy who did something like this in the 1900's.i found a story in that magazine that the state of Maine puts out,the photo show him in a jock strap with a bunch of other guys in suits and bowler hats watching while he strikes a race start poise.the 1900's style one,and gets ready to run off in the woods.he left messages on birch bark for a trusted friend so news paper reports could follow his adventures.he had to leave Maine by way of Canada because the forest rangers were out looking for him for starting fires without a permit.a while later a cabin was found with a heap of empty cans laying around.i guess the idea was he was going in with nothing at all!

#232384 - 09/18/11 08:34 PM Re: Year in the Wilderness Hoax [Re: CANOEDOGS]
gimpy Offline

Loc: PNW
There was a guy here in the PNW I heard about approx 25 yrs ago. He went into the backcountry intending to stay on a semi long term basis to write about how he did it afterwords. If I recall right he was only in there 6-8 weeks or so. He had lost a lot of weight and came out since he knew there was no way he would make it through winter. He said he spent every waking hour in the pursuit of food. He was deep in so he was using snares and such to assist and not concerning himself with game/fishing laws. He wanted to be like the early trappers/explorers/natives and thought he was well versed enough to be a success. He had no time to make a real shelter for the winter and he knew his efforts were doomed. I didn't hear what he had for weapons, but I think he was trying to 'go native' there. Not sure. Anyhow it was a FAIL. Interesting tho.... Every waking hour in pursuit of FOOD/nourishment.It gives me 'Pause'......

We have a LOT to be thankful for!
Especially agricultural science and our farmers.
gimpy

#232507 - 09/20/11 06:13 PM Re: Year in the Wilderness Hoax [Re: paramedicpete]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Here is the Yahoo link describing the hoax:
Year in the Wilderness Hoax

As always, trust the media to get most of the details wrong....

That guy spent something like 10.5 months out of a year in his wilderness refuge. That is well documented. He also spent a total of approximately 6 weeks at various places, mainly in Sweden. He claims that his father was terminately ill, and he broke off to go visit him on several occations, making a total of 6 weeks. He also admits that he did some shopping on these occations.

He deliberately lied about spending 1 year without interuption and without any resuply. Shame, really - because living in the wilderness for 10.5 months like he did is no small achievment. But I guess falling short of his 1 year/no resupply goal would not make such a spectacular market value.

Anyway - I don't like being lied to, but I find comfort in the fact that the only REAL victim in this case was himself. And he has only himself and his own decisions to blame. Good riddance.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.