Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230194 - 08/21/11 10:04 PM Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This last weekend I attempted to produce a Bug Out Bag Youtube video, but failed miserably. The main problem was my buddies who wouldn't take it seriously. They think folks who make Youtube BOB videos are a little crazy . The idea was to take them out for the weekend and to firstly show the Bug Out Bag kit, then show the kit in action (wood proceesing, fire making etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcPdaHKhR9U

Even more disheartening was when three 11 year boys came walking down the beach just after sunset (one was carrying a 4 inch fixed blade knife in hand, one of the others a half eaten British Army 24 ORP main meal) to ask us if we had caught anything. With only a small flat fish to hand, one of the boys then said he had earlier caught a 4lb Sea Trout down at Flisk Point (a couple of miles further up the river) then went on to critique the small size of the fire we had going. blush

Any way here are some photos;

Basha Sheet setup.

Escaping the City... wink

It might not be a Sea Trout!! but it could make a meal with some baked tatties from a nearby farmers field. The baked tatties were excellent.

Sunset over the Sidlaw Hills and the River Tay. Best served with a nice cool bottle of Chardonnay.

Cilivisation (City of Dundee whistle ) in the background. The Coleman Sling Chair was excellent but slightly heavy for a Bug Out, but needs a better carry bag (needs an adjustable sling strap).

Boiling water using the lid from a Swedish Army Trangia Mess tin with a stick. (useful if your fuel runs out)

Sleeping under a Basha.

I think I need a script and Camera tripod the next time. laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/21/11 10:45 PM)

#230199 - 08/22/11 12:23 AM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nothing wrong with the size of the fire in your pics; anything bigger is likely to be inefficient.

#230224 - 08/22/11 05:22 AM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Are you using zip ties to secure the stick to the cookpot handle? If so, how much heat can they take before melting?

#230225 - 08/22/11 06:37 AM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
The main problem was my buddies who wouldn't take it seriously. They think folks who make Youtube BOB videos are a little crazy .

Wrong crew for the job.

Use these guys:

Quote:
...three 11 year boys ... carrying a 4 inch fixed blade knife ... caught a 4lb Sea Trout ... then went on to critique the small size of the fire we had going.

Use your original crew to make a video on what goes wrong when you don't have a BOB!

Sue

#230231 - 08/22/11 12:22 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

That one you may have to pull a survivor man and use a tripod and make your videos solo. Many people don't understand and rely on the government to take care of them(I know, Obvious right) . I would like to see a video too of your solar set up if you get some time. I am experimenting with some of goal zeros products as well http://www.goalzero.com/?gclid=CILom47H0aoCFZBY7AodDxZn0w but I'm using my 40 watt military cell I got off off e-bay and the power film charger I keep in a fanny pack with a aqua pack to keep them dry. I use a watershed bag for the big one. http://www.amazon.com/Powerfilm-Battery-Solar-Panel-Charger/dp/B001RMF7P8

#230239 - 08/22/11 02:38 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: LED]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Nice photos, thanks for sharing. Are you using zip ties to secure the stick to the cookpot handle? If so, how much heat can they take before melting?

Actually they are steel D rings which fold down on the handle. Those clever Swedish folks at Trangia like to get little details right. I also like to keep a Titanium Mug (Lifeventure), Firesteel and plastic Spork inside the Trangia as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-GHZ-l_tGw

Getting the little details right on bushcraft/BOB kit really make the difference in saving time and energy. For example I should have set up the Basha Sheet before hand and used Prusik Knots to tension the sheet along the ridge line rope. The ridge line rope was a GITD type and the guy lines reflective 550 paracord so as not to trip over/walk into them during the night.

The reflective 550 cord is also very useful for the main fixed blade lanyard (Mod4 Survival Knife). I also have a Tritium marker on a main zipper on the back pack as well, where I keep a things like headlamps etc when kept next myself in the tent or under a Tarp.

Keeping the camp site organised in the dark can get a little tricky especially if the situation is highly stressful. Training for stress, such as being forgetful, clumsy and disorientated in the dark etc is simulated by consuming a bottle of wine during the evening. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/22/11 02:40 PM)

#230240 - 08/22/11 02:46 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Susan]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Use your original crew to make a video on what goes wrong when you don't have a BOB!

Great idea... One of the crew actually decided to attempt to pitch his tent in the pitch dark on a pebble beach. Not really a problem for most, but if you bring along the tent poles from a completely different tent and attempt to pitch it in the dark whilst the worst for alcoholic wear then the results can be quite funny.

#230248 - 08/22/11 03:41 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
One of the crew actually decided to attempt to pitch his tent in the pitch dark on a pebble beach. Not really a problem for most, but if you bring along the tent poles from a completely different tent and attempt to pitch it in the dark whilst the worst for alcoholic wear then the results can be quite funny.

Actually, that sounds like a perfect video: use your original crew to show what NOT to do, and then show your 'second crew" (the boys) on how to do it right.

Guys and alcohol... that combo has provided a lot of entertainment for many people over the years!

Sue

#230264 - 08/22/11 05:55 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Do you ever setup a hammock? It looks like you could have done it here.

By the way, that sunset pic is incredible. I glanced over it the first time because of the other pics. What camera is it?

#230276 - 08/22/11 08:19 PM Re: Trying to produce a Youtube BOB video [Re: falcon5000]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
That one you may have to pull a survivor man and use a tripod and make your videos solo.

I have tried this and it is much harder then it actually looks. Everything takes 3-4 longer as you to have film, check, redo, re-check etc. On top of all this, it takes more work back home when it comes to editing the video. You may have hours and hours of raw field video only to end up with minutes of decent final cut video.

I recall Less Stroud mentioning the difficulties of doing solo videos. He would have multiple cameras to work with and not to mention being deprived of sleep, food, water etc over a period of 7 days. All this video would be edited and condensed down to about 42 minutes for an hour long Survivorman show.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.