Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#229111 - 08/04/11 12:59 PM Help make your posts readable
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I love reading all the posts here. Most people have good stuff to add.

There are a few prolific posters here who I would love to read there posts, but their contributions fall into the category of "wall of text" with little punctuation or spacing. I simply skip these posts, even though there is probably something thoughtful buried in the words. I won't spend the time to struggle with it.

Using paragraphs and punctuation makes posts so much more readable.

If you put a carriage return at the end of every sentence, that would be better than typing a run-on paragraph.

Please help us out. If you have something long-winded to say, use paragraphs and spacing. If you don't, your passionate words will likely go unread.

#229112 - 08/04/11 01:01 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

The same paragraph with no spacing...I love reading all the posts here. Most people have good stuff to add. There are a few prolific posters here who I would love to read there posts, but their contributions fall into the category of "wall of text" with little punctuation or spacing. I simply skip these posts, even though there is probably something thoughtful buried in the words. I won't spend the time to struggle with it. Using paragraphs and punctuation makes posts so much more readable. If you put a carriage return at the end of every sentence, that would be better than typing a run-on paragraph. Please help us out. If you have something long-winded to say, use paragraphs and spacing. If you don't, your passionate words will likely go unread.

#229114 - 08/04/11 01:54 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have the same issue. I won't call it a complaint because the posts here are contributions and one does not complain about voluntary contributions.

However, as GarlyDog notes, posts that are difficult to read go largely unread and having your posts read is the purpose of contributing. At least I think that's the purpose, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

We are trying to help so please take this as friendly critique.

#229115 - 08/04/11 02:45 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

NH, I'm not as good with the 'stream of consciousness' writing style as you are.

I need the paragraph breaks or my eyes get lost trying to read the words in a big block of text.

It's my own failing.

#229119 - 08/04/11 03:27 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I manage to get through most posts unless they use text messaging abbreviations, ALL CAPS & no punctuation.

Is it really that much work to throw the odd period in there? wink

#229124 - 08/04/11 03:56 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Callahan Offline
Stranger

Loc: South Florida
I have been a member for years and have learned much. I often feel I have something to contribute but do not because there seem to be a lot of grammar snobs on this site. I know it is an important skill to be able to communicate properly, however most people can dig the meaning out even if it is not written properly.

#229126 - 08/04/11 04:06 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

I'm not asking for perfect grammar, that's not me either. Just look at my first post in this thread, i used 'there' incorrectly and I mis-capitalized 'i' in this sentence.

I am just asking for some spacing, paragraphs(pressing the 'enter' key to create space) and a period every now and then.

#229127 - 08/04/11 04:09 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!

Punctuation: it can save lives.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#229128 - 08/04/11 04:10 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: GarlyDog]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
While I don't think I am an offender on this model of writing, guilt forces me to nevertheless respond on my behalf or the behalf of others. I occasionally respond to threads using my iPhone. It makes logical typing structure more difficult to maintain typing with thumbs in a small space.

Not like this post in which I'm using a desktop pc and a 42" monitor. In this case, I'm just a horrible typist with almost zero formal training in sentence structure.

I totally understand the frustration though. My dad in our family websites and emails writes in 100% caps, doesn't proof his work and usually writes in one long paragraph.

I try to tell him that all caps is code for yelling or anger but he says, "I can see the words on the screen better." As to the other issues, like say a squiggly red underline under misspelled words, he is less forthcoming with a response.

#229130 - 08/04/11 04:22 PM Re: Help make your posts readable [Re: NightHiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'm probably one of the big offenders in your book then, sorry GD.

It's kinda funny though, your second post is a lot easier for me to read. The extra carriage/hard returns makes it seem a bit "disjointed" to me and break the flow of thought. I know there are different writing styles but I never considered that there are also different reading styles as well.

I'm pretty sure train-of-thought doesn't count as a "style." Probably more like the written equivalent of verbal diarrhea.

That being said, I'm pretty sure it's not you he's referring to!

I think we can all understand iphones and the like, especially in regards to auto-correct issues.

Callahan ... uh ... welcome? 3 years and 2 posts? That's some impressive lurking smile

Edited by MDinana (08/04/11 04:25 PM)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.