Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227462 - 07/08/11 12:32 PM Pocket reference books?
Cauldronborn2 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi folks it's been a while since I last posted. I had some computer problems and lost the password to my first account but I'm back and I have a question.

Does anyone here use a pocket reference book such as the pocket ref book or would you recormmend a different book?

#227465 - 07/08/11 02:29 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I have the pocket ref and the pcpocket ref books. The Pocket ref is a trove of info on a variety of stuff. For an all around, "maybe it's in here" book, get it.

The PCref I have is outdated - it was probably outdated the day before it was printed. Wouldn't recommend it now.

#227501 - 07/08/11 10:49 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#227505 - 07/09/11 12:11 AM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2

Does anyone here use a pocket reference book such as the pocket ref book or would you recormmend a different book?

I like that book enough to have a copies at home, at work, and in my truck. I also keep it's offshoot, Handyman Pocket Ref, in my toolbelt. I also keep a copy of JJ Keller Hazardous Materials Compliance Pocket Guide in my truck, but only because I have to deal with those regulations at work and so I get free copies.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227516 - 07/09/11 04:50 AM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Pocket Ref is good. I also have the SAS Survival Handbook in that same size; it has its uses.

#227526 - 07/09/11 03:23 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Blast]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2

I like that book enough to have a copies at home, at work, and in my truck. I also keep it's offshoot, Handyman Pocket Ref, in my toolbelt. -Blast

I have the older 2nd ed. of the Pocket Ref and also the Handyman Ref. -- they come in handy in the construction industry and for home projects. I also have the Canadian Wood Council Span Book for designing structures. All good technologists/architects should have this at their side. BTW, the link is to the Americanized version of the book with both American/Canadian tree species instead of just Canadian.

It sits right beside my pocket sized dictionary and Roget's pocket thesaurus and the other staple = Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide blush

And since my close vision isn't what it used to be, I've got a credit card Fresnel lens lodged between the pages.

#227541 - 07/09/11 08:45 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Can anyone tell me if the Pocket Ref has a tangent table for angles? A google search on "tangent table" will give you an idea of what I'm after.

There is a technique I like to use when orienteering that uses the tangent of an angle to calculate the distance to an object.

Thanks for looking in your copy of the book and telling me!

#227543 - 07/09/11 09:42 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
In my 2nd edition there is a table of tangents, sines and cosines and radians on pp 301-308 for 0* to 360*.

Example tangent on 25* = 0.46631

The bad news, I've forgotten 90% of my geometry and I don't what to do with this! eek

#227552 - 07/10/11 04:03 AM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Roarmeister]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
In my 2nd edition there is a table of tangents, sines and cosines and radians on pp 301-308 for 0* to 360*. Example tangent on 25* = 0.46631

The bad news, I've forgotten 90% of my geometry and I don't what to do with this!

Thanks for looking.

An example of what I'm talking about can be found at:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-finding-side-right-triangle.html

The third to the last example on that page is the formula I use most often while orienteering. Basically, let's say you are standing at the lower left corner of that triangle and you want to find the distance to a tower or other landmark (which would be side (a) in the example. What you would do is starting walking left or right about 200 or more yards or so away from that line (which is shown as "7" in the example, and you would measure the angle to the target from your new position using your compass (which is shown as "53" in the example. You would then use the tangent table to calculate the side "a" which gives you the distance to the landmark.

I don't recommend using tangent calculations by themselves though. If you're going to do advanced orienteering using trigonometry, you need to combine it with maps, time, compass, wind direction, Sun/Moon/Planets, beads (or other counting methods), altitude, temperature, etc. Using trig is only a small part of the whole and it shouldn't be used as a primary tool, only as a secondary tool to support what you see on your map and compass.

Edited by NuggetHoarder (07/10/11 04:19 AM)
Edit Reason: added picture

#227581 - 07/10/11 07:34 PM Re: Pocket reference books? [Re: Cauldronborn2]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
What is the difference between the two Collins Gem SAS pocket references? Is the 2e/"climate" one that much preferred for EDC? Any others? Is there much scientific info in the Pocket Ref? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.