Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#218677 - 03/10/11 01:30 AM ZOMG! E. KOLI R EVERYWHERZ!!! Or Something
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A little something for the people who like to freak out over every little thing:
http://scienceblogs.com/mikethemadbiologist/2011/03/zomg_e_koli_r_everywherz_or_so.php

Everyone remain calm ... and wash your hands.

#218683 - 03/10/11 02:27 AM Re: ZOMG! E. KOLI R EVERYWHERZ!!! Or Something [Re: Art_in_FL]
ajax Offline

This reminds me of the Mythbusters episode about E. Coli where they placed toothbrushes in various parts of a bathroom and then put a control brush under a bell jar in a room away from the bathroom.

Every single brush had traces of E. Coli.

#218702 - 03/10/11 03:50 PM Re: ZOMG! E. KOLI R EVERYWHERZ!!! Or Something [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think even doing something as simple as closing the commode lid could prevent a lot of splashing of the toothbrushes.
Our bathroom is pretty small so I contain all my stuff in a travel toiletry bag and hang it in my closet and carry it into the bathroom in when I need it then back into the closet when done so it gets very little exposure.

#218764 - 03/11/11 04:34 PM Re: ZOMG! E. KOLI R EVERYWHERZ!!! Or Something [Re: Art_in_FL]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Everyone remain calm ... and wash your hands.

I didn't like that piece. It's quite dismissive in the author's attitude of the fact that many thousands of Americans are sickened by E. Coli and some die--and they're not getting it from not washing their hands. The author ignores the role that industrial agriculture/livestock and food processing has had on actually creating a situation where many thousands are exposed to this threat.

I was just reading the other day that E. Coli was never much of a public health issue until after 1950. I'm assuming that is because farming, livestock, and what we ate were very different from today's situation. People aren't getting sick because little Johnny didn't wash his hands after going #2. We're getting sick with E. Coli from that hamburger or from the sprouts we added to our salad from the salad bar or the strawberries we put onto top of our ice cream. That's why when there is recall of some food product due to E. Coli, it generally has to be done across many states or even nationwide because potentially millions of us could be at risk in any given incident.

Fear mongering is not good, but neither is trying to misdirect us from the important factors underlying some issue.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.