Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208828 - 10/01/10 05:28 PM extra long poncho
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi folks, I'm looking for a extra long poncho to use in my EDC bag instead of the rain jacket and pants I keep in there for unforcasted rain and I hope that someone here could point me in the right direction.

Were I live sudden down pours are not uncommon in winter and by the time you dig out the jacket & pants your soaked (I should say that if the forcast is for rain I do take I heavier jacket than I keep in my bag)

The only "must have" requirements I have are the length and color. I'm 5'8" tall and would like the poncho to come to somewere between mid-calf and ankel on me, so I guess I need som thing about 3 1/2 - 4 feet from shoulder to heam or 7-8 feet long if opened up like a tarp.

I don't mind about colors but as this would be for day to day use in a semi urban location (I live in a rural area, but close to two small towns) I would prefer drab non camo colors i.e black, navy blue ect.

As for fabrics I don't have any preferences so long as its durable and if it could be opened as a tarp like the USGI ponchos that would be a nice plus.

Many thanks in advance

Cauldronborn

P.S sorry for rambling

#208831 - 10/01/10 06:13 PM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Snugpak poncho seems to fit your requirements but doesn't have the grommets etc for use as an impovised basha shelter.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_ponch...tedBundle=95965

I have this Goretex Poncho;

http://www.militarykit.com/products/jackets/british_army_dpm_mvp_poncho.htm

It is great for field use, has the grommets and studs etc so can be used as an improvised basha shelter and is made from what looks like the older 3 layer Taslan Goretex (so is very durable, but slighlty heavier at around 900gms, so doesn't blow around too much).

#208843 - 10/01/10 07:58 PM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the snuk pak poncho.

By the way has anyone used the trekmates poncho ?

#208856 - 10/01/10 11:32 PM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have a couple of ponchos, and have owned something like a dozen more, and it seems to me that all of them hit me just below the knee. Which means pants legs and boots were in the middle of a lot of flow.

My answer was to cut the arms off an old rain jacket, install plastic stiffeners, cut from a bleach bottle, so they ride over the instep of the boots, cords and stops top and bottom to hold them in place, and wear them as knee-high gaiters. My DIY gaiters were free except for the $5 for cord locks. Having the thighs free means the poncho stays cooler during summer rainstorms. When the rain stops I loosen the top of my homemade gaiters and roll them down so they ride on the ankles of the boots so I get more ventilation.

Store bought gaiters or rain chaps would work.

#208866 - 10/02/10 12:55 PM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn
I'm looking for... extra long poncho... length and color.... poncho to come to somewere between mid-calf and ankel on me...prefer drab non camo colors i.e black, navy blue ect.... fabrics.. durable... could be opened as a tarp... that would be a nice plus...
sounds like this Integral Designs Silponcho fits the requirements. even available on your side of the pond.

#208969 - 10/04/10 04:22 AM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
check the Campmor coated nylon in long.i use that..see my ramble on the subject"poncho"

#209014 - 10/04/10 05:51 PM Re: extra long poncho [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

HA, JACKPOT!! Thanks a lot canoedogs, thats just what I was looking for. One question though, do you know if campmor ship internationally? Just asking as I live in Britain.

#209060 - 10/05/10 04:24 AM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Cauldron--i see they ship to Canada but i don't know about the UK.
you must have a camp gear shop across the pond that carrys the same sort of stuff.i post on Classic Camp Stoves,spiritburner.com out of the UK,and the fellows over there post links to the outdoor stores there.

#209067 - 10/05/10 11:23 AM Re: extra long poncho [Re: Cauldronborn]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

I wish!! Your right that there many good outdoor stores over here, but ponchos aren't that common as most people over here wear waterproof jackets & pants. And the few good poncho designs I've seen have been too short at 2m (6' 7" ish)long opened like a tarp which comes to about my knees.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 440 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.