The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207018 - 08/31/10 04:03 AM Back in School
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So, after much consternation and navel-gazing I decided to go back to school and get another degree. No Blast, I decided against a doctorate. I do not have the literature background to skip along in those academic fields. There were no programs that truly grabbed my interest which would have worked out to pursue another degree at the Master's level. The bachelor's: ditto. Therefore, I regressed to the junior college for a computer information systems AAS. It was the least offensive of the options available. The upside is that I do not have to do the freshman nonsense. I can just take the program coursework at a leisurely three class load for the next three years. Nothing like cramming a two-year degree into three. All this while I wait for another college to pick me up as an adjunct in their Teaching English as a Second Language program. Anyway, that is the update.

Edited by MoBOB (09/01/10 12:38 AM)
Edit Reason: Fixed horrible grammar and inserted missing words

#207027 - 08/31/10 12:16 PM Re: Back in School [Re: MoBOB]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sounds like a good plan.
Sidenote: probably the dumbest thing I ever did was get my Ph.D.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/31/10 12:18 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#207061 - 09/01/10 12:39 AM Re: Back in School [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Is that because it can actually end up closing off career pathways?

#207063 - 09/01/10 02:36 AM Re: Back in School [Re: MoBOB]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Is that because it can actually end up closing off career pathways?

Partially, but the main reason is my overall earning potential suffered. The extra five years I spent in school after the masters were five years without a paycheck or the wonderful effects compound interest has when started early. The difference in salary between an M.S. and a Ph.D. never made up for the loss.

One the plus side, I can actually use the line "Trust me, I'm a doctor."

-Blast

*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#207065 - 09/01/10 02:39 AM Re: Back in School [Re: Blast]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Surely there must be some sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with yourself for attaining a doctorate, isn't there? It seems to me not all rewards are monetary.

#207079 - 09/01/10 12:03 PM Re: Back in School [Re: Phaedrus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Surely there must be some sense of accomplishment and satisfaction with yourself for attaining a doctorate, isn't there? It seems to me not all rewards are monetary.

Early on, yes. But one soon realizes there's not a lot of respect for education and there's actually a pretty strong social stigma attached to having a Ph.D.

If I could do it over I would have been a pharmacist.

-Blast

#207081 - 09/01/10 12:58 PM Re: Back in School [Re: Blast]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Blast

Early on, yes. But one soon realizes there's not a lot of respect for education and there's actually a pretty strong social stigma attached to having a Ph.D.

Sorry to hear that. This stigma is absolutely not universal. In my world (both professional and private), a PhD is held in high reward. Or maybe that is just because I don't have one... wink

Any education and any efforts to improve your skills and knowledge is worthy of respect. Go for it, MoBob smile

#207087 - 09/01/10 01:38 PM Re: Back in School [Re: MoBOB]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
As far as I can tell, a PhD is most useful if you want to teach in higher education or be some kind of academic administrator. Having worked in the higher ed industry for the first part of my career, I have been convinced that it's not for me.

#207170 - 09/02/10 04:48 PM Re: Back in School [Re: MoBOB]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
In my wife's field, PhD's tend to earn the same, or LESS than someone with a MS - in her field, you are MUCH MUCH better off getting your MS, and spend the extra time getting an MBA
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#207178 - 09/02/10 05:45 PM Re: Back in School [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Blast
If I could do it over I would have been a pharmacist.

I would've become an investment banker until I could start up my own hedge fund or private equity fund. And then I'd eventually die and go straight to you-know-where. whistle

I long had the dream of getting a PhD, too, but I stopped with a terminal Masters. To my disappointment, I just didn't see the benefits outweighing the risks/trade-offs. I agree that in many fields, a PhD doesn't mean as much as it used to. We're so profit-driven these days that a PhD just has a big price tag hanging around their neck in the eyes of employers compared to some fresh-faced kid that they can train on-the-job or some offshore outsourced worker.

And the value of basic research is way down, too. Nowadays, every endeavor has to have some sort of financial payoff, which basic research rarely does. I feel the same way about our appreciation of the arts.

I think it's so sad that the cream of the crop, say a graduating class from nearby CalTech, is going to get scooped up by Wall St. firms to help them essentially figure out ways to gamble with other people's money to generate more money, instead of actually advancing our knowledge, developing better things, etc. What a waste of our youth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.